• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How much is fair to ask for?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hengwen

Slip & Fall Claim against client for my son's negligence

:confused: What is the name of your state? Oregon
In January while picking up my son from work at night at a cafe on city property I slipped on a patch of black ice and broke my ankle in 5 places. My son said the management knew about the ice and told him to try to keep a rubber mat over it, but it had slipped off. After insurance, I'm responsible for over $7000 in medical bills. I hestitated to even ask for that because I'm self-employed and the city is one of my best clients. I've started a letter and now am wondering if I should ask for "pain & suffering" and how much? It will probably be at least a year before I fully recover and I had to turn down work from other clients for 3 months while I was on crutches (I'm a graphic designer and photographer). Should I come up with a figure or ask them to make an offer? How do I word this request/demand without alienating this important client? How much is fair to ask for?

Last edited:

ablessin

It's unfortunate that you slipped and fell, however, I don't think suing is the best option.

You're not going to make friends if you sue!!! They're a client? And you want to sue a client? That will go over like a lead balloon.

You could ask them to help cover the non covered medical expenses, however, you're going to sink yourself if you file a law suit

hengwen

Don't want to sue

Thanks for your reply. I never said I wanted to sue, quite the opposite! However I am writing them a letter requesting payment of medical bills and believe some other compensation is appropriate as well. Is suing someone the only way to get that?

ablessin

hengwen said:
Thanks for your reply. I never said I wanted to sue, quite the opposite! However I am writing them a letter requesting payment of medical bills and believe some other compensation is appropriate as well. Is suing someone the only way to get that?

Hopefully not! I hope that they come forth and help with the medical expenses. Sorry - everyone is so "sue happy" - I apologize for jumping the gun in your case.

Write them, explain the situation and say that you're asking for assistance paying the bills. I would guess even asking for half is not unreasonable

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">