• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Should I build my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

callie45

What is the name of your state? Idaho

I was planning to build a house soon. A few months ago I was involved in a fight. The criminal charges didn't result in anything, but I still believe that I will be sued. I did not have any home owners or renters insurance at the time. I have not been sued yet, so what will happen if I go ahead and build my house, and then I am sued? Will I be protected by the personal liability of my homeowners insurance, or will I be in danger of losing my house? Also would any renters insurance I purchased now cover me? I hope the fact that nothing came of the criminal charges will help, but I am worried because of the big awards that you always see given to people. I don't have much in the way of assets, nothing I have is paid for. What happens if I get sued and lose?

claimlaw

[/QUOTE]what will happen....if I go ahead and build my house, and then I am sued?
If they get a judgment they will attempt to attach your assets and/or income. If you have a mortgage for the full amount of the house there won't be much they can attach. You may have very little, if any, equity early in the mortgage term.

Will I be protected by the personal liability of my homeowners insurance?
No. Only a policy that was enforce at the time of the altercation would apply.

The smartest thing to do here would have been to avoid a fight. You just placed your life's efforts at risk. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Claimlaw

HomeGuru

callie45 said:
What is the name of your state? Idaho

I was planning to build a house soon. A few months ago I was involved in a fight. The criminal charges didn't result in anything, but I still believe that I will be sued. I did not have any home owners or renters insurance at the time. I have not been sued yet, so what will happen if I go ahead and build my house, and then I am sued? Will I be protected by the personal liability of my homeowners insurance, or will I be in danger of losing my house? Also would any renters insurance I purchased now cover me? I hope the fact that nothing came of the criminal charges will help, but I am worried because of the big awards that you always see given to people. I don't have much in the way of assets, nothing I have is paid for. What happens if I get sued and lose?
**A: you need to see an estate/trust attorney. You have liability.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">