• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA in Texas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cherridk

What is the name of your state? Texas

When we closed on our home back in March of 2004 it wasn't disclosed to us at our closing that there was a HOA and we didn't sign a PUD statement. I have checked with the title company and there is nothing of record regarding a HOA. Now they are trying to collect the dues from last year and now this year. Does anyone know if its mandatory that we join since it wasn't disclosed to us at our home closing or is it strictly voluntary now. This HOA is not doing anything in our neighborhood where I see improvements. We are having our first meeting of the year tonight and I haven't seen a statement of financial activity since moving in last year. Can anyone help me out on this? What is there obligations to us as members, and most importantly, do I have to join if it wasn't disclosed to me at my closing?

Thank you.

CK

S

seniorjudge

cherridk said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

When we closed on our home back in March of 2004 it wasn't disclosed to us at our closing that there was a HOA and we didn't sign a PUD statement. I have checked with the title company and there is nothing of record regarding a HOA. Now they are trying to collect the dues from last year and now this year. Does anyone know if its mandatory that we join since it wasn't disclosed to us at our home closing or is it strictly voluntary now. This HOA is not doing anything in our neighborhood where I see improvements. We are having our first meeting of the year tonight and I haven't seen a statement of financial activity since moving in last year. Can anyone help me out on this? What is there obligations to us as members, and most importantly, do I have to join if it wasn't disclosed to me at my closing?

Thank you.

CK

How did you become aware of this HOA?

cherridk

Hoa

We closed in March 2004. A lady showed up at our house in November 2004 saying she was from the HOA and took down our names and told us what we would owe. She said she didn't even know that we moved in until recently. 8 months later and we were 3 houses down from her and the supposed President????? Said to send money for 2004 to PO Box for association. Also, the house was a repo. We were received some certified mail addressed to the prior tenants after we moved in regarding HOA. Only one letter. Now we are receiving notice that we owe for 2004 and 2005 or they will put a lien on our home. We are waiting until the meeting tonight to address our concerns but wanted to make sure of what rights we may have.

Thanks again.

S

seniorjudge

cherridk said:
We closed in March 2004. A lady showed up at our house in November 2004 saying she was from the HOA and took down our names and told us what we would owe. She said she didn't even know that we moved in until recently. 8 months later and we were 3 houses down from her and the supposed President????? Said to send money for 2004 to PO Box for association. Also, the house was a repo. We were received some certified mail addressed to the prior tenants after we moved in regarding HOA. Only one letter. Now we are receiving notice that we owe for 2004 and 2005 or they will put a lien on our home. We are waiting until the meeting tonight to address our concerns but wanted to make sure of what rights we may have.

Thanks again.
At the meeting, ask them to see the recorded documents where the HOA was created.

If they can't produce such a document, then tell them that if they put a lien on your house, that they won't have to worry about the HOA because you will sue them and you will own the HOA and you will dissolve it.

cherridk

Thank you senior judge. Last question....I hope. :) If they do produce such documents, then are we obligated to pay our dues and join the association?

S

seniorjudge

cherridk said:
Thank you senior judge. Last question....I hope. :) If they do produce such documents, then are we obligated to pay our dues and join the association?
I don't know because I do not know what kind of documents they are going to show you.

All this is pretty astounding to me.

Just when I thought I had heard everything....

Post back, hear?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">