• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i be sued for medical bills of victims

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

midship

What is the name of your state? Washington

Hi, i am 17 year olds and was involved in a fight where someone was sent to the hospital.

this is the story of what happened. i was with some people that i just met that day, and we were eating at a restaraunt. there was another group of people eating next to us that kept staring at us the whole time we were eating. when we were done eating, both groups left at the same time while i was the only one left who stayed there to pay the bill.

when i was done paying, i walked outside, down the sidewalk, and around the corner. that is when i saw a mass of people all swinging at eachother. it was both groups fighting eachother. I saw this guy in between me and the group, i thought he was gonna jump in and swing at my new "friends" so i intercepted him and punched him in the jaw. then someone from the jumple of ppl came over and started going on the guy i had just punched. that was when i backed off. seconds later everyone in my group fleed the scene and i followed.

now...a few of the guys that got beat up go to my school. so they pointed me out to the police and i was arrested. i was facing 2nd degree assault but by going through diversion i am only getting 4th degree. However, i was told by the diversion chief that the victim's family might want to sue me for medical bills, and if they choose to, they will win.

BUT!....i only touched one guy and threw one punch. the guy i hit isnt even the one that is sueing. the one sueing got really messed up, but i never even laid a hand on him. however, the diversion chief told me that theres no way to prove who i hit or didnt hit. they only have the word of the victim saying i punched him numerous times and stomped on him. i was the only one the police caught for the fight, so the only way they can get money for medical bills is if they put the blame on me, and to do that they are lieing, saying i had a much larger part in the fight then i actually did.

this is really unfair. i feel sorry for the guy that got really hurt but it is not right for him to do this to my family.

so my questions are

1. does he have a good chance of winning a law suit against my parents?
2 If my parents were to disown me (i am 17 if it matters) would my parents still have to pay for "my" actions

S

seniorjudge

midship said:
What is the name of your state? Washington

Hi, i am 17 year olds and was involved in a fight where someone was sent to the hospital.

this is the story of what happened. i was with some people that i just met that day, and we were eating at a restaraunt. there was another group of people eating next to us that kept staring at us the whole time we were eating. when we were done eating, both groups left at the same time while i was the only one left who stayed there to pay the bill.

when i was done paying, i walked outside, down the sidewalk, and around the corner. that is when i saw a mass of people all swinging at eachother. it was both groups fighting eachother. I saw this guy in between me and the group, i thought he was gonna jump in and swing at my new "friends" so i intercepted him and punched him in the jaw. then someone from the jumple of ppl came over and started going on the guy i had just punched. that was when i backed off. seconds later everyone in my group fleed the scene and i followed.

now...a few of the guys that got beat up go to my school. so they pointed me out to the police and i was arrested. i was facing 2nd degree assault but by going through diversion i am only getting 4th degree. However, i was told by the diversion chief that the victim's family might want to sue me for medical bills, and if they choose to, they will win.

BUT!....i only touched one guy and threw one punch. the guy i hit isnt even the one that is sueing. the one sueing got really messed up, but i never even laid a hand on him. however, the diversion chief told me that theres no way to prove who i hit or didnt hit. they only have the word of the victim saying i punched him numerous times and stomped on him. i was the only one the police caught for the fight, so the only way they can get money for medical bills is if they put the blame on me, and to do that they are lieing, saying i had a much larger part in the fight then i actually did.

this is really unfair. i feel sorry for the guy that got really hurt but it is not right for him to do this to my family.

so my questions are

1. does he have a good chance of winning a law suit against my parents?
2 If my parents were to disown me (i am 17 if it matters) would my parents still have to pay for "my" actions

Google washington state civil assault joint several liability

If your folks disowned you this moment, that would have no affect on your status the day you did what you said you did. If that worked, the streets would be full of orphans.

I don't know if your folks will be held liable civilly for anything but any judgments against you will follow you around the rest of your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">