• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Of Children In Ca.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hookup

What is the name of your state?CA

I HAVE TWO CHILDREN ONE 19 MONTHS AND ONE 9 YEARS OF AGE. I WANT TO HAVE JOINT CUSTODY OF THE CHILDREN. MY WIFE SEEMS TO THINK THAT THE KIDS ARE TO YOUNG FOR ME TO HAVE JOINT CUSTODY OF THE CHILDREN. IS THERE ANY LAWS IN CA. THAT WILL KEEP ME FROM HAVING JOINT CUSTODY OF ARE CHILDREN?

bryyce62

Hello,
As long as you are not running from the law or have any illeagal habits or hobbies, there are NO laws in CA that would keep you from sharing joint custody. Age of the children is irrelevant.
Speaking from personal experience, 50% custody is ones best option. It maximizes your time with your kids and minimizes the support to the X. Plus if you share joint custody, the likelyhood of one of the other parent "moving away" and therefore forcing a custody modification is greatly reduced.
My advice to you is, fight as hard as you can for your kids in spite of what your wife is telling you. You'll be glad you did. I certainly am. Plus, why are you even considering the information that she is telling you?

hookup

custody response

bryyce62 said:
Hello,
As long as you are not running from the law or have any illeagal habits or hobbies, there are NO laws in CA that would keep you from sharing joint custody. Age of the children is irrelevant.
Speaking from personal experience, 50% custody is ones best option. It maximizes your time with your kids and minimizes the support to the X. Plus if you share joint custody, the likelyhood of one of the other parent "moving away" and therefore forcing a custody modification is greatly reduced.
My advice to you is, fight as hard as you can for your kids in spite of what your wife is telling you. You'll be glad you did. I certainly am. Plus, why are you even considering the information that she is telling you?
your right, i shouldnt be listening to what she says. IS A LAWYER RECOMMENDED FOR CUSTODY ISSUES?

bryyce62 said:
Hello,
X-wifes will tell you anything thing they want you to hear as long as it's in their best interest. Consult with an attorney, and 50/50 custody is currently California's most polular method of custody. Unless one parent is unfavorable, it's very hard for a judge to not award 50/50 custody. And as bryyce62, stated, with 50/50, the CP cannot just "up and move" at their whim. They need permission and "extreme" circumstance changes before a judge would even consider a relocation, and that's even rare in today's age.

bryyce62

I would definitely reccommend an Attorney for custody issues. I used to think that I could save a few bucks by negotiating with the ex, but as you can imagine, trying to hammer out a "fair" agreement with someone that you can't even live with anymore, isn't going to happen.
An Attorney also knows all of the details of custody, support and the like, not to mention the experience that they have with the court system itself, is worth the $$.
I sleep pretty well at night knowing I still have very reliable counsel on retainer (8 years later) to make sure that I don't get screwed by the system the minute I get complacent.

b62

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">