• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

broken back....do I have a case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLOlaw

What is the name of your state? California

A friend of mine recently broke his back, and works for a major corporation. The way he broke his back, however, is what I have the question about. It occurred one night when he began sleepwalking and ended up walking off his second-story balcony, flipping over the edge, and upon impact, fractured six vertebrae.

The reason that he was sleepwalking was because of nightmares that he was having, that were induced by stress, which, he believes, has been caused by his job/work environment. This was the second time something like this had happened (obviously waking up before anything drastic happened) and nothing like this had ever happened before he started working for the company that he currently works for.

I suggested that he sue, and this is the argument that I came up with.

"Mr X broke his back due to the stressful conditions at his workplace. It was because of these working conditions that he developed a sleeping disorder causing him to have night terrors, and consequently, because of the said dreams, he ended up sleepwalking off his second-story balcony."

He has all the medical records as well as testimony from the doctors and EMTs to back this up. I'm just curious as to wheather or not this may be enough for a case against his present employer. Personally, (not a lawyer by any means) I think that he may have something.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

SLOlaw

SLOlaw

huh...

......beg your pardon? I'm just trying to get an outside opinion, and I'm definately not trolling. If you didn't have anything reasonable to say, you didn't have to say anything at all.

I have heard of this happening numerous times.
That is why I live in a one story house, and strap myself to my bed before
going to sleep.
Better safe than sorry.

SLOlaw

OK, I can see where this is going....

Burt Gummer said:
going to sleep.
Better safe than sorry.

.....but Im not lying about this. All 100% (although crazy-sounding) true. I can take the constructive criticism, but if you're going to be a d**k, then please refrain.

And to Burt....yes, the person in question has installed an alarm on the door leading to his balcony. And yes, it's come in handy once more since the accident. I'm glad that you've also taken the necessary precautions.

Veronica1228

Burt Gummer said:
going to sleep.
Better safe than sorry.
You strap yourself to a bed? Hmmmm....... ;)

You Are Guilty

Come to think of it, as I was getting onto the 4 train this morning, I walked into one of the subway car's poles because I was looking at a rather attractive woman's cleavage, and banged my shoulder. So I just filed suit against the makers of the Wonderbra and will let you know how it turns out.

Veronica1228

You Are Guilty said:
Come to think of it, as I was getting onto the 4 train this morning, I walked into one of the subway car's poles because I was looking at a rather attractive woman's cleavage, and banged my shoulder. So I just filed suit against the makers of the Wonderbra and will let you know how it turns out.
I think you have a case. They should be stopped from making mountains out of mole hills!!!

SLOlaw

You Are Guilty said:

....perhaps you could sue the subway as well, for negligent pole-placement? :D

ENASNI

You Are Guilty said:

I will keep my fingers crossed that you BUST the bank on that case!

You Are Guilty said:

Please keep me abreast of your situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">