• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deed Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bravo10

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NC

I hope someone can help me with this. My mother and father added me and my two siblings, along with our spouses to their land deed (joint tenancy with right of survivorship). My oldest sister is currently going through a divorce. My parents own the land, pay the taxes and have right of survivorship.

How would this divorce affect the land? Is he eligible for 1/6 of the land in the future after my parents pass? To us, he is no longer a rightful heir to their land. Can my parents will override this? He is not willing to sign anything right now (to deed it back to my parents). Is there anything they can do (they have already made an appointment with their lawyer) to prevent him from obtaining their land in the future?

HomeGuru

bravo10 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?NC

I hope someone can help me with this. My mother and father added me and my two siblings, along with our spouses to their land deed (joint tenancy with right of survivorship). My oldest sister is currently going through a divorce. My parents own the land, pay the taxes and have right of survivorship.

How would this divorce affect the land? Is he eligible for 1/6 of the land in the future after my parents pass? To us, he is no longer a rightful heir to their land. Can my parents will override this? He is not willing to sign anything right now (to deed it back to my parents). Is there anything they can do (they have already made an appointment with their lawyer) to prevent him from obtaining their land in the future?

**A: yes, buy him out.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">