• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do i remove a co-owner from the title/deed of a house in Dallas County?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bertman19

What is the name of your state? CA

My fiancee and I bought a house in Feb 2005. Her credit was awful and but mine was good. We are both responsible for the mortgage. We are also both listed on the title. I am in California right now although we had been together for 4 years. I was making the move back to Dallas within a couple of months (once I found a job tehre).

Immediately upon moving her to the house, I turned on the utilities and she moved in. Afterwards, she stopped communicating with me and would not give me a key to the house. I was told that I was not to show up uninvited. She does not return calls and any communications with her is just a bunch of head games from her. She ended our relationship at the beginning of April 2005.

The mortgage company cannot help me.

A lawyer told me that I could force a "Partition" sale. Since we both want the property, the judge would probably treat this like a divorce and make a judgement to sell the house. However, this will take a $3,000.00 retainer and could run thousands more if it is contested. However, he could rule in favor of my "ex" because she has made payments and is occupying the property.

If the judge does order the property sold, then I would be able to buy the house back on my own merit (and so could she).

My "ex" is "squatting" on the house in an effort to claim the house for herself because she is paying for the loan and property taxes simultaneously for the past two months and can eventually remove me from the title and loan based on her own m,erit and my non-participation.

My question: Is it possible to get her off the title somehow and keep the house? What is the best way to do this?

HomeGuru

bertman19 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My fiancee and I bought a house in Feb 2005. Her credit was awful and but mine was good. We are both responsible for the mortgage. We are also both listed on the title. I am in California right now although we had been together for 4 years. I was making the move back to Dallas within a couple of months (once I found a job tehre).

Immediately upon moving her to the house, I turned on the utilities and she moved in. Afterwards, she stopped communicating with me and would not give me a key to the house. I was told that I was not to show up uninvited. She does not return calls and any communications with her is just a bunch of head games from her. She ended our relationship at the beginning of April 2005.

The mortgage company cannot help me.

A lawyer told me that I could force a "Partition" sale. Since we both want the property, the judge would probably treat this like a divorce and make a judgement to sell the house. However, this will take a $3,000.00 retainer and could run thousands more if it is contested. However, he could rule in favor of my "ex" because she has made payments and is occupying the property.

If the judge does order the property sold, then I would be able to buy the house back on my own merit (and so could she).

My "ex" is "squatting" on the house in an effort to claim the house for herself because she is paying for the loan and property taxes simultaneously for the past two months and can eventually remove me from the title and loan based on her own m,erit and my non-participation.

My question: Is it possible to get her off the title somehow and keep the house? What is the best way to do this?

**A: buy her out with an offer she can't refuse.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">