• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability and more disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WorriedInVa05

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am trying to find resources for a friend who recently had to have back surgery. It has kept her from working her minimum wage paying job.

Just last year (in December??) her husband was granted long-term disability payments from his former employer. He has a disease that prevents him from working at all. His wife was under his health insurance, so she did not sign up for the health issurance offered through her employer. Unfortunately, since she did not sign up for health insurance through her employer...now that she had back surgery and is out of work, she cannot get any disability. She cannot get workers comp because she was not laid off or her situation does not qualify. Although her family receives disability payments from her husband, social security checks for her 3 children, she is really in a bind. She is on section 8 housing. She is not well off. What kind of resources can I help her find? Can she find any other source of income? She is receiving cut-off notices for her electricity, utilities. I don't know what to tell her....where can I start?! Should she get a lawyer? Can she afford one?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I'm not sure what you think a lawyer would do. No one has violated any of her rights. No one is deliberately withholding anything from her.

You evidently do not understand workers comp. It has nothing to do with whether she was laid off or not. Workers compensation comes into play ONLY if she were injured or became ill SOLELY because of her job. If the circumstances that caused her to need back surgery were not work related, then she is not entitled to workers comp.

Even if she could find a disability company that would sell her a policy under the circumstances you describe, it would not provide her with any income NOW because her condition would be pre-existing.

I'm assuming that you're saying that her husband's health insurance is no longer in effect. When it was cancelled, she/they had two options. He would have had the option of picking up COBRA - his employer's coverage at his own expense. Granted, COBRA is extremely expensive. At the same time, she would have had 30 days to go to her employer, tell them that she'd lost the insurance through her husband and sign up for her employer's coverage then. Before you ask, it was HER responsibility to do this; not anyone else's responsibility to tell her about it. Her husband's employer would have no way of knowing what coverage she had available and her own employer would have no way of knowing that she'd lost coverage through her husband.

Has she looked into welfare? Medicaid? Food stamps?

I'm not unsympathetic and I understand her situation. But your post suggests that you think people are deliberately withholding information from her that would ease her situation and that does not appear to be the case.

thumper75757

if they have no insurance and in need of any medications they can get their medicine free through the pharmecutical companies... needymeds.com ....just print the applicatin for the med needed, fill out the patient section, have doctor fill out the doctor section, and mail or fax to the address given on the app.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">