• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Repay STD benefits?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katesuppe

What is the name of your state? Texas

I was in a car accident in 2002. I was on short term disability and received benifits from Nov 18th 02-Jan 5 03. I live in the state of Texas and the insurance co. that paid those short term disability benefits to me was Unum Provident Life Ins. A benefit I paid for through my employer. Am I obligated to pay them back those benefits paid to me from my personal injury settlement? It was my understanding that a law had recently been passed at that time prohibiting Ins. companys from collecting from personal injury settlements for these types of benefits.
Please advise. They are threatning to turn this into a collection agency. :confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">