• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

jobs and misdemeanors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rcat

What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hello. Last June, I was charged with misdemeanor domestic assault. Since it is the only thing like this that I have ever done, it will be expunged from my record this June (after my 11 month and 29 day probation period).

I haven't tried to get a job in over a year because I am living at home, just finished my bacheor's degree, and haven't really needed a job until now. I am starting grad school next month and have recently been sending out my resume for employment.

My question is this. If I am asked by a potential employer if I have ever committed a crime or not, am I to say yes, since I really have, or no, since this offense is supposed to be expunged from my record?

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers advice.

O

Obnoxious1

rcat said:
What is the name of your state? Tennessee

Hello. Last June, I was charged with misdemeanor domestic assault. Since it is the only thing like this that I have ever done, it will be expunged from my record this June (after my 11 month and 29 day probation period).

I haven't tried to get a job in over a year because I am living at home, just finished my bacheor's degree, and haven't really needed a job until now. I am starting grad school next month and have recently been sending out my resume for employment.

My question is this. If I am asked by a potential employer if I have ever committed a crime or not, am I to say yes, since I really have, or no, since this offense is supposed to be expunged from my record?

Thanks in advance to anyone who offers advice.
Honesty really is the best policy. Since you have no idea what type of background check they will do you really have no idea what will show up. Also, some potential employers will ask about offenses that have been expunged.

It's better to check the yes than it is to lie about it and have them find out about it on their own.

First I would purchase my own criminal background check from the county of your residence, before applying for the job to see if it is on there or not. You are obviously going to school and trying to make something of your life, but too many times we make mistakes and they haunt us forever. It is not right. And thanks to terrorists and child molesters, they make it ten times harder to gain employment as if it isn't hard enough! Remember when we never hand to have a background check to work? My best friend got charge with the same thing you did, also was attending college and was getting ready to graduate. He was totally honest on his application and they did expunged the crime. The employer told him he could not hire him because they would be worried that he may commit another act of violence at the job. Even though it was no where on his criminal record, that is what honesty gets you. UNEMPLOYED! People need to realize once you pay your debt to society that is it. Wait till it is expunged, get your local and federal criminal record and know whats on it before you apply for a job. Don't volunteer anything extra.

O

Obnoxious1

vivarantthang said:
First I would purchase my own criminal background check from the county of your residence, before applying for the job to see if it is on there or not. You are obviously going to school and trying to make something of your life, but too many times we make mistakes and they haunt us forever. It is not right. And thanks to terrorists and child molesters, they make it ten times harder to gain employment as if it isn't hard enough! Remember when we never hand to have a background check to work? My best friend got charge with the same thing you did, also was attending college and was getting ready to graduate. He was totally honest on his application and they did expunged the crime. The employer told him he could not hire him because they would be worried that he may commit another act of violence at the job. Even though it was no where on his criminal record, that is what honesty gets you. UNEMPLOYED! People need to realize once you pay your debt to society that is it. Wait till it is expunged, get your local and federal criminal record and know whats on it before you apply for a job. Don't volunteer anything extra.
vivarantthang, did you ever get your own assault charges expunged?

vivarantthang said:
What is the name of your state? GA

Just wondering how to expunge a misdemeanor charge of assault with physical harm from a criminal record. Can't afford a lawyer, I just need to know what steps to take to file a motion with the court to get rid of it.

rcat

vivarantthang said:
That is an excellent idea. Do you have any idea how much something like this might cost?

What sucks is that I'm trying to get a job right now, less than a month before my record is to be expunged. This could be very difficult.

usually you can purchase a background check for $10.00 in your county, and federal is free just write to your local FBI office and tell then under the Freedom of Information Act, you are requesting your federal criminal background history, and they will send it to you free of charge. And yes Obnoxious I assisted a friend in geting his record expunge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">