• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can I handle claim without an atty?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Flaget28

What is the name of your state? Virginia, Hello, my 2yr old daughter was attacked by neighbor dog in their yard(we were invited over, and they unlocked their gate to let us in) dog inflicted over 45 stitches on my daughter's face. The owners told their insurance co. that the dog has bitten before. (I spoke to their insurance, but I did not give a statement). Their insurance has offered to settle. I have read on the internet about how you can handle your own claim. There are books and service companies that will guide you and provide form letters and other self help material. Daughter will probably need plastic surgery. Since the insurance company has offered to settle, and with the help of these "self help" guides, what is the harm if I try and do it on my own? How can a lawyer do better, especially when he wants 25%? I am pretty astute, and resourceful, and my wife is a surgical nurse. Am I being naive to think I can do this myself, and do it as well or better than an attorney? Thank you.

shortbus

The problem is that without experience in settling such claims, you have no way of knowing if the ins company's offer is comparatively fair. You may end up leaving a lot of money on the table. Obviously the ins co. would like to deal with you directly and prey on your ignorance.

You're not getting a "do it yourself plastic surgery" book to do your daughter's surgery are you? No, I didn't think so.

LOKI15

I'm not an attorney but do utilize one.

Your daughter is seriously injured, being on her face that makes it even worse! Girls arn't like boys, they really do like their faces and believe it or not they enjoy to have them intact!

My son is involved in a lawsuit, I know where I am from *I* am not allowed to take a settlement on behalf of my child ( I know this because I have to go to court next week so the judge can aprove the settlement and make sure its in the best intrest of my 5yr old son).

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not you but from one parent to another you need to speak with an attorney. You daughter deserves better than to have you risk everything by playing a game you don't know.

Flaget28

shortbus said:
The problem is that without experience in settling such claims, you have no way of knowing if the ins company's offer is comparatively fair. You may end up leaving a lot of money on the table. Obviously the ins co. would like to deal with you directly and prey on your ignorance.

You're not getting a "do it yourself plastic surgery" book to do your daughter's surgery are you? No, I didn't think so.
No, we are not going to do the plastic surgery ourselves(and I do not think you were being nice with your comment, very insensitive. I bet you do not have children, otherwise how could you make such a comment?) I asked a question, and I do not need insensitive answers. Why the hard line? What is wrong with a little compassion and kindness. We are talking about a 2 yr old child that was brutally attacked, if you can not give nice answers than keep your harsh comments to yourself. Nobody likes a wise guy. Be a little more considerate next time. Try to be nice, even when you think the question is stupid, we are real people with an injured child. Thank you.

Flaget28

LOKI15 said:
I'm not an attorney but do utilize one.

Your daughter is seriously injured, being on her face that makes it even worse! Girls arn't like boys, they really do like their faces and believe it or not they enjoy to have them intact!

My son is involved in a lawsuit, I know where I am from *I* am not allowed to take a settlement on behalf of my child ( I know this because I have to go to court next week so the judge can aprove the settlement and make sure its in the best intrest of my 5yr old son).

I'm not a lawyer and I'm not you but from one parent to another you need to speak with an attorney. You daughter deserves better than to have you risk everything by playing a game you don't know.
Thanks for the reply, I do not know the "game", but I am learning real fast. I have visited several attys and I have read a book and done research. I will handle my own case against the insurance co. I will try and reach a settlement. If I am unable to reach a settlement than I will try with an atty. There is no loss trying myself, and everything to gain. Why not try yourself first? Save yourself 25% Along the way you can always hire an atty if you run into trouble.

stephenk

"I have visited several attys and I have read a book and done research"

Oh brother.

Your daughter will be glad you "saved 25%" when she asks why the settlement you reached with the carrier doesn't cover all of her damages.

good luck. you will surely need it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">