• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparents selling land that my parents live on

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Martin_S

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Greetings all. This is complicated so I apologize in advance.

Currently my grandparents own several acres of land. On that land is their house and the house that my parents and I live in. My grandparents own both houses and all the land. My parents are not on the title or deed or anything of that nature, they have not paid rent or anything like that in the past 20 years.

Now, 20 years ago, my grandfather stated that when he sold the land he would give my mother what 1 acre would be worth on the market. This was a verbal agreement and no papers were signed to that effect. However, now at this time my grandfather wants to sell all of the land and give my parents NOTHING.

I'm not sure if there is any recourse at this time as my grandfather owns all the land etc etc and has been allowing us to live here the whole time. So we will be forced out, and made to purchase a house from scratch and start all over.

Also I forgot to add that over the years we have made numerous upgrades to the house we live in, we have added a deck, added an addition, marble flooring, varies renovations and upgrades totalling thousands of dollars. In addition, we have payed all electric and utility bills, and cable, phone etc. Not sure if that is relevant

Are we screwed? (if you'll pardon the term)

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

The only relevant points you raise in your post is that grandfather owns all land and homes and that your parents have no lease or other contract.

This makes them, under law, a month to month tenent and, as such, are only required to be noticed according to statute.

As to your question regarding upgrades and utilities and the other monies you and your parents have expended, they are meaningless due to the fact that you and your parents have lived rent free for 20 years.

Start packing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">