• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

father abandonment - quitclaim deed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clawhorn

What is the name of your state? New York

My father and mother's names are both onthe deed to their home. My mother would like to transfer the deed to my name -- quitclaim deed (we assume) -- but my father's name is also on the deed as part owner.

We have not seen him nor do we have nay clueof his wherabouts since 1986 -- classic deadbeat dad story. My mother has paid and continues to pay the entire mortgage alone since they purchased the house in 1984.

How can she quitclaim the deed to me without his signature?
Can she even refinance her home without his signature?

HomeGuru

clawhorn said:
What is the name of your state? New York

My father and mother's names are both onthe deed to their home. My mother would like to transfer the deed to my name -- quitclaim deed (we assume) -- but my father's name is also on the deed as part owner.

We have not seen him nor do we have nay clueof his wherabouts since 1986 -- classic deadbeat dad story. My mother has paid and continues to pay the entire mortgage alone since they purchased the house in 1984.

How can she quitclaim the deed to me without his signature?

**A: just do it but see an attorney first. The transfer will result in all 3 names on the deed.
Can she even refinance her home without his signature?
**A: No....................

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">