• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption and Living Trust

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unabibis

What is the name of your state?California

My brother has a 11 year old daughter and a 9 year old son. He has joint custody with the mother, but my brother and the kids live with me. I want to adopt them with my brother retaining his father rights. The mother is ok with giving up her rights to me. What is fastest way for this adoption process. I am getting married in October and would like to have this completed before then.

Also, I want to protect my equity without getting a prenuptial agreement. How can I do this? WOuld a living trust to the children work?

THanks,

Elvia

Zephyr

so you would be the legal mom and your brother would be the legal dad? that will be interesting for the kids to explain to their friends....

why doesn't mom just sign over full custody to dad

I find it highly unlikely you can adopt the children unless you are married to your brother, which I know is not the case.

You need to consult with a family law attorney on both issues.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">