• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

psychotic grandma

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

taevgonzo

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?
Texas. I have a mean hateful abusive mother who sued me and my ex-husband for GP access to our 3 girls (ages 7,9 and 11). We, the fit parents are in agreement that it is not in the best interest of our children to associate with my psychotic mother. Our children have even told the judge themselves (in his private chambers) that they did not want to see grandma, and that she fights with me and her husband in front of them so they are afraid of her.) She is so nasty to everyone in her family and has managed to alienate herself completely over the years. She has always been controlling and very abusive towards me since I was a baby. I am now 34 and refuse to be her victim anymore. She is hell bent on proving that she can still control me by way of my children. Despite my ex's, my childrens' and my objection, plus a family member testifying that she is a witch (the other relatives were afraid to help for fear of retaliation), the judge is forcing my children to talk to her on the phone for 5 minutes every week for 90 days. This is not the final order. I am sure she can "behave" for 5 minutes a week. I am so worried he will give her more access when the 90 days are up. I am poor and doubt I can find the $ for an appeal but I will try none the less. Do you think I would be wasting my time if I appealed? Sure, it's only 5 minutes a week but still, every wednesday we will have to sit by the phone for an hour or two and wait for that damned woman to call for what 11 years? Then my children have to converse with someone they don't want anything to do with. (what if we want to go out of town or do something fun on that day. If we don't answer to her I will get in trouble? that hardly seems right. And what's worse, the judge didn't even want to hear from me or my ex. At first, the judge threatened to either give her overnight visitation or have her come to my home to see them if we didn't compromise with her. (This horrified me) Can he do that? Isn't that posession and not access? After hearing my testimony about being slapped, choked, kicked, scratched, etc by her he still insists on forcing her on us. I know her better than anyone and I know what's best for my children better than anyone, why am I being over ruled?
Can I avoid this ruling if I move to another state (and not tell where I am living) or would I be hunted down like a dog? I am extremely stressed by all this and would appreciate any information. And to those Grandparents out there insisting on their "rights", REMEMBER.. you were parents first. How would you like it if you were being shoved aside and told how to raise your children???

LdiJ

taevgonzo said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state?
Texas. I have a mean hateful abusive mother who sued me and my ex-husband for GP access to our 3 girls (ages 7,9 and 11). We, the fit parents are in agreement that it is not in the best interest of our children to associate with my psychotic mother. Our children have even told the judge themselves (in his private chambers) that they did not want to see grandma, and that she fights with me and her husband in front of them so they are afraid of her.) She is so nasty to everyone in her family and has managed to alienate herself completely over the years. She has always been controlling and very abusive towards me since I was a baby. I am now 34 and refuse to be her victim anymore. She is hell bent on proving that she can still control me by way of my children. Despite my ex's, my childrens' and my objection, plus a family member testifying that she is a witch (the other relatives were afraid to help for fear of retaliation), the judge is forcing my children to talk to her on the phone for 5 minutes every week for 90 days. This is not the final order. I am sure she can "behave" for 5 minutes a week. I am so worried he will give her more access when the 90 days are up. I am poor and doubt I can find the $ for an appeal but I will try none the less. Do you think I would be wasting my time if I appealed? Sure, it's only 5 minutes a week but still, every wednesday we will have to sit by the phone for an hour or two and wait for that damned woman to call for what 11 years? Then my children have to converse with someone they don't want anything to do with. (what if we want to go out of town or do something fun on that day. If we don't answer to her I will get in trouble? that hardly seems right. And what's worse, the judge didn't even want to hear from me or my ex. At first, the judge threatened to either give her overnight visitation or have her come to my home to see them if we didn't compromise with her. (This horrified me) Can he do that? Isn't that posession and not access? After hearing my testimony about being slapped, choked, kicked, scratched, etc by her he still insists on forcing her on us. I know her better than anyone and I know what's best for my children better than anyone, why am I being over ruled?
Can I avoid this ruling if I move to another state (and not tell where I am living) or would I be hunted down like a dog? I am extremely stressed by all this and would appreciate any information. And to those Grandparents out there insisting on their "rights", REMEMBER.. you were parents first. How would you like it if you were being shoved aside and told how to raise your children???
Ok...take a big deep breath. The fact that the judge only gave her 5 minutes on the phone, once a week, is VERY significant. That is almost an insult to grandma. Think about it? 5 minutes? If you decide to go on a vacation somewhere while this order is in effect...then simply give grandma a number where the children can be reached that Wednesday. (you can send her a letter) Wait and see what the long-term outcome of your case will be.
In fact...you can give yourself alot of freedom on those Wednesdays by getting a prepaid cell phone that is used just for the purpose of Grandma talking to the kids. Give Grandma that number instead. That way you never have to notify her of anything.

While a judge CAN give a gp in TX the kind of visitation that the judge threatened you with previously, the odds of that happening here are fairly slim. Its probable (although not guaranteed) that the phone visitation is what you will be stuck with on a long term basis. That isn't going to give grandma the "control" that she wants...therefore she's likely to just "fade away".

However, I will tell you that in order for a gpv order to be enforced in another state, it has to be domesticated in that state. Florida's Supreme Court declared Florida's gpv laws as unconstitutional 6 or 7 years ago....based on the Florida constitution not the US constitution. Florida also won't domesticate orders from other states (if a parent has proper legal representation)....again because they are contrary to the Florida constitution.

taevgonzo

psycotic grandma

undefined
LdiJ said:
Ok...take a big deep breath. The fact that the judge only gave her 5 minutes on the phone, once a week, is VERY significant. That is almost an insult to grandma. Think about it? 5 minutes? If you decide to go on a vacation somewhere while this order is in effect...then simply give grandma a number where the children can be reached that Wednesday. (you can send her a letter) Wait and see what the long-term outcome of your case will be.
In fact...you can give yourself alot of freedom on those Wednesdays by getting a prepaid cell phone that is used just for the purpose of Grandma talking to the kids. Give Grandma that number instead. That way you never have to notify her of anything.

While a judge CAN give a gp in TX the kind of visitation that the judge threatened you with previously, the odds of that happening here are fairly slim. Its probable (although not guaranteed) that the phone visitation is what you will be stuck with on a long term basis. That isn't going to give grandma the "control" that she wants...therefore she's likely to just "fade away".

However, I will tell you that in order for a gpv order to be enforced in another state, it has to be domesticated in that state. Florida's Supreme Court declared Florida's gpv laws as unconstitutional 6 or 7 years ago....based on the Florida constitution not the US constitution. Florida also won't domesticate orders from other states (if a parent has proper legal representation)....again because they are contrary to the Florida constitution.
Thank you for that information. I'll try the phone idea. And possibly move to Florida!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">