• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help....grandma has custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

We have a very unusual case. My husband and his ex went thru a custody battle for his daugher with the help of his mother's money. She was put into the custody battle as an "intervenor". My husband obtained custody of his daughter because the bio mother was marrying a child sex offender and woman beater and the list goes on. After my husband got custody of his daughter, we lived in Ohio and his mother lived in Illinois. His mother took us to court for grandparent rights and she got more visitation than a "good" mother would of ever gotten. Because of other problems in our lives, my husband let his daughter temporarily live with his mother, and after 1 week of living there she went to court and said that my husband abandoned his daughter and she got custody. Now after 6 years, his daugher is 14 years old and has decided she wants to move in with us. We are fine with this, Gramma is fine with it, but she wants to keep custody of the daughter. In the meantime, the daughter hasn't even been living with the Gramma, the Gramma has put the daughter right back into biological mom's arms. Daughter has been living with her mother and her mother hasn't changed in one bit. Does my husband have any rights to obtain custody of his daughter when she moves here? We live in WI and grandma lives in Illinois. Grandma is very financially secure and could drag us thru the dirt with her money. Any help would be great!!!

Thanks

LdiJ

suppermom57 said:
What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

We have a very unusual case. My husband and his ex went thru a custody battle for his daugher with the help of his mother's money. She was put into the custody battle as an "intervenor". My husband obtained custody of his daughter because the bio mother was marrying a child sex offender and woman beater and the list goes on. After my husband got custody of his daughter, we lived in Ohio and his mother lived in Illinois. His mother took us to court for grandparent rights and she got more visitation than a "good" mother would of ever gotten. Because of other problems in our lives, my husband let his daughter temporarily live with his mother, and after 1 week of living there she went to court and said that my husband abandoned his daughter and she got custody. Now after 6 years, his daugher is 14 years old and has decided she wants to move in with us. We are fine with this, Gramma is fine with it, but she wants to keep custody of the daughter. In the meantime, the daughter hasn't even been living with the Gramma, the Gramma has put the daughter right back into biological mom's arms. Daughter has been living with her mother and her mother hasn't changed in one bit. Does my husband have any rights to obtain custody of his daughter when she moves here? We live in WI and grandma lives in Illinois. Grandma is very financially secure and could drag us thru the dirt with her money. Any help would be great!!!

Thanks
This case sounds to me like one that really needs an attorney. However, once the child has lived with you for six months or so....dad's odds to get custody legally changed, will improve.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">