• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Roommate drama

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsP05

What is the name of your state? AL

Ok...I try to state the facts as briefly as possible.

I share an apartement with two other females. I'll refer to them as A and B.
We are college students and I am the only one who planned on (and did) graduate. Thus, I had no intentions...and A and B knew I had no intentions of remaining in the apartment after the termination of our lease...which was lets say...June 15th.

Our apartment complex requires a 60-day notice to vacate..(that basically means that as a group..we would all have had to sign the vacate notice by April 15th). The Apartment complex sent reminders to us regarding this requirement and it is also stated in the lease.

Around the 60-day time frame, my roommates discussed their intentions of possibily resigning the lease. They even went to the leasing office, talked about different floor plans and discussed possible roommates. I went to the leasing office to inquire what I needed to do since I knew for sure I was not going to re-sign anything. I was told that prior to me leaving...my roommates would need to release me from the lease.

Two weeks ago...my roommates were going back and forth discussing their plans and decided to vacate. The complex has informed us that we need to submit the 6- notice (since it was required). This would mean that we would have to pay rent until (since today is the 19th)....July 19th.

In my opinion...in all fairness...the indecisiveness had nothing to do with me.
I planned on vacating the apt. regardless..and roommates A and B were either planning to resign or didn't know exactly what they were doing.

Roommate A and her parents understand my situation and feel that I should not be responsible for paying the extra costs because I had nothing to do with the reason the 60-day notice was not turned in.

Roommate B and her parents feel that I should have to pay along with both roommates. Their reason is something like...I should have presented to release earlier....(However, if they would have signed it earlier...then they should sign it now...basically the only difference between then and now is the fact everyone knows for sure that they are vacating the apartment. ) Roommate B also argues that she and I never discussed what we were doing.....(however...1. she admitted that she knew I was leaving..and 2. She was talking with roommate B and floorplans and other roommates..if she was planning to vacate ...she definetely did not make it known.)

Whew....so basically roommate A will sign the release...to release me from the additional costs...but roommate B will not. They both have to sign in order to release me.

Now...I'm faced with a decision...b/c the 60-notice still needs to be signed. If I sign it...I become as responsible as them to pay the extra cost. However if I don't...everyday nothing is signed we will be charged (so if we wait 5 more days to sign it.. the 60 will start then...thus that's 5 more days we have to pay for).

Please let me know the following: 1. Should I be liable for the additional charges?...2. Does the law say anything about this? ...and 3. What should I do?

If you have any questions let me know. You can post your comments here or email me. Either way...I need advice asap...My email is [email protected]

Should I "be indecisive" and not sign anything....and play the game.."last roommate standing." Should I give up and just sign the paper and pay $400 extra dollars for a situation I could not have prevented and had no control over....HELP!!!

HomeGuru

MsP05 said:
What is the name of your state? AL

Ok...I try to state the facts as briefly as possible.

I share an apartement with two other females. I'll refer to them as A and B.
We are college students and I am the only one who planned on (and did) graduate. Thus, I had no intentions...and A and B knew I had no intentions of remaining in the apartment after the termination of our lease...which was lets say...June 15th.

Our apartment complex requires a 60-day notice to vacate..(that basically means that as a group..we would all have had to sign the vacate notice by April 15th). The Apartment complex sent reminders to us regarding this requirement and it is also stated in the lease.

Around the 60-day time frame, my roommates discussed their intentions of possibily resigning the lease. They even went to the leasing office, talked about different floor plans and discussed possible roommates. I went to the leasing office to inquire what I needed to do since I knew for sure I was not going to re-sign anything. I was told that prior to me leaving...my roommates would need to release me from the lease.

Two weeks ago...my roommates were going back and forth discussing their plans and decided to vacate. The complex has informed us that we need to submit the 6- notice (since it was required). This would mean that we would have to pay rent until (since today is the 19th)....July 19th.

In my opinion...in all fairness...the indecisiveness had nothing to do with me.
I planned on vacating the apt. regardless..and roommates A and B were either planning to resign or didn't know exactly what they were doing.

Roommate A and her parents understand my situation and feel that I should not be responsible for paying the extra costs because I had nothing to do with the reason the 60-day notice was not turned in.

Roommate B and her parents feel that I should have to pay along with both roommates. Their reason is something like...I should have presented to release earlier....(However, if they would have signed it earlier...then they should sign it now...basically the only difference between then and now is the fact everyone knows for sure that they are vacating the apartment. ) Roommate B also argues that she and I never discussed what we were doing.....(however...1. she admitted that she knew I was leaving..and 2. She was talking with roommate B and floorplans and other roommates..if she was planning to vacate ...she definetely did not make it known.)

Whew....so basically roommate A will sign the release...to release me from the additional costs...but roommate B will not. They both have to sign in order to release me.

Now...I'm faced with a decision...b/c the 60-notice still needs to be signed. If I sign it...I become as responsible as them to pay the extra cost. However if I don't...everyday nothing is signed we will be charged (so if we wait 5 more days to sign it.. the 60 will start then...thus that's 5 more days we have to pay for).

Please let me know the following: 1. Should I be liable for the additional charges?...2. Does the law say anything about this? ...and 3. What should I do?

If you have any questions let me know. You can post your comments here or email me. Either way...I need advice asap...My email is [email protected]

Should I "be indecisive" and not sign anything....and play the game.."last roommate standing." Should I give up and just sign the paper and pay $400 extra dollars for a situation I could not have prevented and had no control over....HELP!!!

**A: read your lease. Do you see a joint and several liability clause?
You are on the hook for their mistake just the same as if they did not pay rent, you would be liable to pay it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">