• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Agent changed policy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Torellian

What is the name of your state?WI

I just got through paying my house insurance bill (which is now double what it was 6 years ago, even though I've never filed a claim), and upon asking my agent via email for premium quotes if I raised my deductible, I discovered that I was paying for insurance for extended coverage for watches, jewlery and furs. I did not have this coverage put on my policy originally and never added it. It always showed up on my bill as an option, but never showed a price as if I were paying for it. I told the agent that I never wanted this on my insurance and that I wanted it removed and that I wanted my money back for it. She said I would need to put it in writing that I wanted it removed, but I couldn't get a refund for it because I must have given my OK for it to be on there in the first place. Fact is, I never gave my OK. Therefore, she doesn't have it in writing from me to have added that coverage in the first place. Why do I have to put it in writing to remove it? I'm afraid that if I start signing papers now, I will be signing away my right to pursue this matter any further.

Does this situation ever happen to any of you? Can an insurance agent just start adding coverages to our policies without our consent?

Please tell me what I should do. I've never been to court for anything, and I hope I don't have to go there for this, but am willing to if that's what it takes.

By the way, I asked my dad about this because he has the same insurance company, and it turns out he has this coverage on his policy too--and it was put there without his knowledge. It sounds like this might be more widespread than just the 2 of us.

tammy8

If any changes were made, you would get an amendment to the policy. What happened when you got this amendment?

Torellian

The only amendments I've ever gotten from them are small changes to the policy that changes minor wording. The only "major" change was one that said they don't cover damages caused by what would basically be called terrorist acts. Nothing ever stated that I elected to apply for an option to pay more for extended coverage for watches, jewlery and furs--which is the addition that was made by my agent.

tammy8

You need to find ALL your policies over the past yrs and compare them. Whenever ANY change is made, there is a new dec page generated. This is usually a state law, even if it is just a phone number change.

And are you sure this coverage is not a standard policy that has been added per the state ins commissioner? Because again, no time ever does a policy get changed without a new dec page. It is MOST important that you find any AND ALL pages, cause the burden of the proof that this coverage was added without your permission is on you. Insurance agents don't just add this stuff just for the fun of it.

Torellian

Tammy8:

I looked through my papers relating to my insurance, which are all kept in one place, and didn't find any new declaration pages. I would think the agent would also have a copy of this new declaration page, if in fact there was a new one generated. I did send an email to the agent saying I wanted a copy of my written authorization for the additional coverage to be added, and she replied that I gave my permission for it to be added over THE PHONE. She gives a specific day that this was done in February of 2002.

I don't know a whole lot about the insurance industry or the law, but it just seems to me that something in writing by me should have to be provided in order to make changes to my policy. That way, both myself and the agent are legally protected. Do I have any rights to being refunded my money for this coverage if the agent can't prove I gave my authorization for the change?

tammy8

I doubt the endorsement would be backdated that far as it is not just the agent's responsiblity to know the coverages on your property but also you as a consumer's responsiblity to know what you are paying for.

Torellian

Tammy8:

I understand that. Ok, so what do you think I should do now? Should I just go into her office and sign whatever paper she gives me to remove the added coverage from my policy, or do I have any rights to pursue claims of dishonesty on the part of the agent? OR should I just find a new agent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">