• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

E coli

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

overture41

What is the name of your state?NJ

I went to a local restaurant and ate steakthat tasted fine but made me violently ill. I woke up about 2am with fever, vomiting and diarhea. I couldn't eat or even get out of bed the entire next day. That evening I notice blood in my stool and called my doctor to see if I should go to the ER. When I didn't receive a call back, I decided to try to hold off until the morning. By now I was able to sip gingerale and eat crackers. By the next day I could eat some food again. The next time I had a bowel movement, however, there was still blood, so I went to the doctor thinking I had ruptured something for sure. She said that the symptom are those of E coli poisoning. I notified the restaurant when I first became ill and they sent me a note and $50 gift certifcate. After finding out that it was E coli, I wrote them and told them that, even though it was a nice gesture, it hardly compensated for the misery, lost work and medical bills. I have not had a response. I hadn't intended on suing them, but I do feel I should be compensated. I was so so so sick!

Last edited:

When you go forth with a claim they may ask these questions.....
Did you eat anything else that day? How are you sure it was the steak? How was your steak prepared?? Was it rare, medium rare, or well done???

overture41

I hadn't eaten anything else that day because I knew I was going out for dinner. I usually have my steak prepared med-well but the waitress suggested that I not overcook such a nice cut of meat so I went for Med. The meat itself may have been okay but otherwise mishandled. It was covered with sauteed tomatoes, onions and mushrooms and covered with fresh mozzerlla cheese. Other than that I had a salad, margarita and Diet Coke. Should I take futher action? Is this sufficient for a claim?

rmet4nzkx

Was this reported to the health department so they could investigate the source of the Ecoli? Ecoli can come from water, vegetables.... not just meat. I suggest you contact the health department report it there and also contact the corporate offices and file a claim for your medical. acceptance of the certificate does not releave them of their liability unless you signed somehting to that effect, it is just a good will offer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">