• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

UPS Dropped off package at my house not for me now....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

baychef

Hey, I'm in California.

So here is the short story...

The other day, UPS dropped off some VERY large packages at my front door. I did not sign for these packages, they were just left there. I called UPS and the sender to notify of the mistake right away. I tell them since they are such big boxes, they will just have to be left on the door step. It takes them 2 days to come and pick them up off my door step. When they finally come pick them up, the boxes are water damaged from the sprinklers, and supposedly one of the boxes is missing.

UPS is saying they are putting the situation under investigation.

What are you opinions in who is liable here? Was I even obligated to report the packages to begin with? Keep in mind I never accepted the delivery, I just come home to find them left on my proprty.

Thanks all for the help :)

CdwJava

I would say that it is UPS' bad. And yes, you were legally obligated to attempt to contact the owner ... the law doesn't allow "finders keepers". You did the right thing, and I wouldn't worry about it too much if I were you.

- Carl

baychef

Thanks,

They are sending over someone to my house tomorrow to take a look at the area were the packages were left.

I was thinking about leaving UPS a bill for storage of the boxes for two days,
LOL
:)

You Are Guilty

Check out CA Code 1584.5, and remind UPS of "what could have been" ;)

1584.5. No person, firm, partnership, association, or corporation,
or agent or employee thereof, shall, in any manner, or by any means,
offer for sale goods, wares, merchandise, or services, where the
offer includes the voluntary and unsolicited sending or providing of
goods, wares, merchandise, or services not actually ordered or
requested by the recipient, either orally or in writing. [highlight]The receipt
of any goods, wares, merchandise, or services shall for all purposes
be deemed an unconditional gift to the recipient who may use or
dispose of the goods, wares, merchandise, or services in any manner
he or she sees fit without any obligation on his or her part to the
sender or provider.[/highlight]

S

seniorjudge

baychef said:
Hey, I'm in California.

So here is the short story...

The other day, UPS dropped off some VERY large packages at my front door. I did not sign for these packages, they were just left there. I called UPS and the sender to notify of the mistake right away. I tell them since they are such big boxes, they will just have to be left on the door step. It takes them 2 days to come and pick them up off my door step. When they finally come pick them up, the boxes are water damaged from the sprinklers, and supposedly one of the boxes is missing.

UPS is saying they are putting the situation under investigation.

What are you opinions in who is liable here? Was I even obligated to report the packages to begin with? Keep in mind I never accepted the delivery, I just come home to find them left on my proprty.

Thanks all for the help :)

...and tell 'em to BITE ROCKS too!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">