• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused and concerned

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mhashman

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?I live in Illinois. My 13 year old sons father now lives in Wisconsin, he has been there for about 3 to 4 years. Here is where it starts getting confusing.... My son lives with my aunt who also lives in IL. She has guardianship of him and has had for about 7-8 years now. He was not removed from my home in any way, nor was there a reason for him to be.I had an emotional breakdown and was unable to take care of him so I asked my aunt to please take care of him for me and that I would grant her guardianship. When we filed for my aunt to obtains guardianship we had to wait about a month so that his father could be notified, on the day we were to sign the papers, his father did not appear, nor had he contacted us. Also, we had not heard from him for approximately a year, nor did we hear from him for about another 2 to 3 or more years. My sons father had little to no contact with him up until about 2 years ago. Any contact was usually initiated by myself, my aunt, or my son. After his father moved to Wisconsin to live with his brother and sister-in-law, it was usually my son. We were never married, he is on the birth certificate, he does pay child support ( when he decides to work). Which during process of obtaining support he did tell the DA that my son was not his. My son is "MAKING" his father be a part of his life. For the past 2 summers my son has spent them with his father in Wisconsin and is planning to do so again this summer. He usually comes back home about 2 days before school starts. However, my son has decided that he wants to live with his father, and that he wants to move up there this summer. I don't want him to live with his father for various reasons: it is out of state, he doesnt have his own place to live, he can't (or won't) hold down a job, his wife left him and took their children moving back to IL and refuses to let him know where they are (but no one knows why she left, and her mother refuses to tell him where they're at.). pick any one of those or a few personal ones I'd rather not discuss, but it takes little imagination to figure out. I know my son is old enough to decide which parent he wants to live with, and he knows that he is old enough to decide as well, but I am extremely concerned. My son also wants my aunt to relinquish guardianship, why, I don't know. What can I do. I don't think that it is a good idea and I don't want my son to learn some of the things his father has to teach. Please help.

I realized after posting that I did so in the wrong forum sorry

Last edited:

LdiJ

mhashman said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?I live in Illinois. My 13 year old sons father now lives in Wisconsin, he has been there for about 3 to 4 years. Here is where it starts getting confusing.... My son lives with my aunt who also lives in IL. She has guardianship of him and has had for about 7-8 years now. He was not removed from my home in any way, nor was there a reason for him to be.I had an emotional breakdown and was unable to take care of him so I asked my aunt to please take care of him for me and that I would grant her guardianship. When we filed for my aunt to obtains guardianship we had to wait about a month so that his father could be notified, on the day we were to sign the papers, his father did not appear, nor had he contacted us. Also, we had not heard from him for approximately a year, nor did we hear from him for about another 2 to 3 or more years. My sons father had little to no contact with him up until about 2 years ago. Any contact was usually initiated by myself, my aunt, or my son. After his father moved to Wisconsin to live with his brother and sister-in-law, it was usually my son. We were never married, he is on the birth certificate, he does pay child support ( when he decides to work). Which during process of obtaining support he did tell the DA that my son was not his. My son is "MAKING" his father be a part of his life. For the past 2 summers my son has spent them with his father in Wisconsin and is planning to do so again this summer. He usually comes back home about 2 days before school starts. However, my son has decided that he wants to live with his father, and that he wants to move up there this summer. I don't want him to live with his father for various reasons: it is out of state, he doesnt have his own place to live, he can't (or won't) hold down a job, his wife left him and took their children moving back to IL and refuses to let him know where they are (but no one knows why she left, and her mother refuses to tell him where they're at.). pick any one of those or a few personal ones I'd rather not discuss, but it takes little imagination to figure out. I know my son is old enough to decide which parent he wants to live with, and he knows that he is old enough to decide as well, but I am extremely concerned. My son also wants my aunt to relinquish guardianship, why, I don't know. What can I do. I don't think that it is a good idea and I don't want my son to learn some of the things his father has to teach. Please help.

I realized after posting that I did so in the wrong forum sorry
Actually, your son IS NOT old enough to choose where he lives. He is only old enough to express a preference and have that preference considered by a judge. Right now your aunt is in control of where your son lives as his guardian. If she says no...then he can't go live with his father. His father would then have to file for custody and a judge would make the decision.

However, unless his dad can be shown to be unfit, by legal standards...dad would probably win......because he is a parent and because your son wants that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">