• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paternal Grandma...what Are My Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisa0hi0

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MS

I am originally from Ohio and have lived in MS for a little over a year. My son lives in OH, and up until March of 2004 he and the mother of his 4 year-old daughter lived together, from the time the baby was concieved, but were never married.

In March of 2004, he found that his ex-girlfriend had been cheating on him, and when confronted about it, made the decision to move out of their apartment, taking the child with her. She moved in with her new boyfriend, and made false accusations, filing an order of protection against my son.

I have tried for some time now to encourage my son to get an attorney, as he has not seen his daughter since Easter day 2004. The only reason's he gives me for not pursing custody of his daughter is that all the attorneys he's contacted want at least $2000.00 up front to get legal procedings started.

While in OH this past Christmas, I called the ex-girlfriends mother, (as I have no idea how to contact my granddaughters mother), told her I was in town, and asked when and where could I meet them to be able to visit with my granddaughter, whom I ADORE! She told me that no one in our entire family are allowed to see the baby because of the protection order. (I'm not sure that this protection order even exsists).

My question is this: What rights as a grandmother do I have as far as getting to see, or even talk on the phone to my granddaughter??? (My husband passed away just one week before this childs 3rd birthday, and he too worshiped the ground this child walks on. So my son lost both his dad, girlfriend AND baby girl all in a matter of a few months!) Since I live 500+ miles away I haven't been able to get many answers.

This woman, (the baby's mother) is a known habitual liar, and is not a very nice person. I've had thougths of going up to Ohio, finding and "snatching" my granddaughter, and running away with her, just so I know that she will be rasied happy, and healthy, from what I know personally, this MOTHER has NO MATERNAL insticts what-so-ever, and I've even heard her several times refer to her daughter as "You damn kid", and other very unkind words...this would constitute mental and verbal abuse in my book!!!...(NOTE: I am a Christian woman, and have no TRUE intentions of doing ANYTHING illeagal, but the temptation is great...)

Okay, I've rambled on long enough. If anyone has some GREAT advice that would help me to be able to see...or just TALK to my 4 yr-old granddaughter, I would truly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Lisa0hi0

LdiJ

Lisa0hi0 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? MS

I am originally from Ohio and have lived in MS for a little over a year. My son lives in OH, and up until March of 2004 he and the mother of his 4 year-old daughter lived together, from the time the baby was concieved, but were never married.

In March of 2004, he found that his ex-girlfriend had been cheating on him, and when confronted about it, made the decision to move out of their apartment, taking the child with her. She moved in with her new boyfriend, and made false accusations, filing an order of protection against my son.

I have tried for some time now to encourage my son to get an attorney, as he has not seen his daughter since Easter day 2004. The only reason's he gives me for not pursing custody of his daughter is that all the attorneys he's contacted want at least $2000.00 up front to get legal procedings started.

While in OH this past Christmas, I called the ex-girlfriends mother, (as I have no idea how to contact my granddaughters mother), told her I was in town, and asked when and where could I meet them to be able to visit with my granddaughter, whom I ADORE! She told me that no one in our entire family are allowed to see the baby because of the protection order. (I'm not sure that this protection order even exsists).

My question is this: What rights as a grandmother do I have as far as getting to see, or even talk on the phone to my granddaughter??? (My husband passed away just one week before this childs 3rd birthday, and he too worshiped the ground this child walks on. So my son lost both his dad, girlfriend AND baby girl all in a matter of a few months!) Since I live 500+ miles away I haven't been able to get many answers.

This woman, (the baby's mother) is a known habitual liar, and is not a very nice person. I've had thougths of going up to Ohio, finding and "snatching" my granddaughter, and running away with her, just so I know that she will be rasied happy, and healthy, from what I know personally, this MOTHER has NO MATERNAL insticts what-so-ever, and I've even heard her several times refer to her daughter as "You damn kid", and other very unkind words...this would constitute mental and verbal abuse in my book!!!...(NOTE: I am a Christian woman, and have no TRUE intentions of doing ANYTHING illeagal, but the temptation is great...)

Okay, I've rambled on long enough. If anyone has some GREAT advice that would help me to be able to see...or just TALK to my 4 yr-old granddaughter, I would truly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Lisa0hi0
Grandparent visitation cases are very expensive...and the odds are winning are very slim. That is not the route for you to follow.

Your son's rights are virtually guaranteed if he gets on the ball. If money is to be spent on attorneys, its far better that it be spent on ensuring your son's rights....much more legal "bang" for your bucks.

B

bradybunchmom

dont take your granddaughter-you will be breaking the law

dont even think of "snatching" your granddaughter-you could find yourself facing felony kidnapping charges. your son needs to file for visitation, and when he gets it, then you can see your granddaughter, the mother isnt obligated to give you more time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">