• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

U.S. Department of Justice cracking down on Chemical Orders.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

radamar

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

I got this letter today, I didn't see an existing thread on it but there are many on several other forums so it wouldn't be suprising if there was one and I just happened to miss it:
Dear Mr. ________

The U.S. Department of Justice is involved with other goverment agencies in investigating the illegal manufacture, distribution and sale of highly dangerous fireworks and flash powder devices that constitute "explosive materials" under 18 U.S.C. SS 841 and 842 as well as "banned hazardous substances" under the Federal Hazardous Substances Act ("FHSA"), 15 U.S.C. S 1261. The manufacture and use of illegal fireworks can result in blinding, severe burns, amputations, and death.

As part of our investigation, the Justice Department has obtained numerous invoices and shipping records from various entities and individuals selling illegal fireworks, or kits and components to produce illegal fireworks. Your name appeared in those records as a consumer of at least one of those entites and individuals. We thus want to formally notify you that it is a federal crime under 18 U.S.C. S 842 (punishable by imprisonment of up to ten years and a fine of $250,000 or both) to engage in the buisness of manufacturing or dealing in explosive materials without a license issued by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. It is also a crime under the FHSA to cause the introduction or delivery for introduction into interstate commerce of banned hazardous substances. This includes chemicals as well as kits and components intended to produce fireworks that are banned hazardous substances. Fireworks banned under 18 U.S.C. S 842 and the FHSA include large, reloadable tube devices, aerial bombs, devices falsely designed as pest control devices or bird bombs, cherry bombs, M-80's and other large flash powder devices (commonly known as quarter-sticks, half-sticks) - all of which are very dangerous.

Thus far, numerous individuals who have violated the above-described bans have been prosecuted and have been sentenced to terms of imprisonment. Our investigation is ongoing, and we intend to bring prosecutions against individuals who continue to violate either the FHSA or the provisions of 18 U.S.C. S 842. In doing so, we hope to reduce significantly the number of people who are injured each year from the manufacture and use of illegal fireworks. We further hope that individuals who have in the past purchased illegal fireworks or the kits and components to make illegal fireworks will no longer do so.

Sincerely,
Henry I. LaHaie
Assistant Director
Office of Consumer Litigation
Many many other people got the same letter, and it seems that the letter is not really a direct threat, more of a warning, however I do not partake in the preparation of pyrotechnic devices, I am a chemist by training (but that kind of complicates things considering all the laws related to the generation and disposal of chemicals and such) and it just so happens that chemicals from pyro suppliers are often cheaper then Sigma or Fisher. I am just wondering how someone with more experience in these matters would take this letter and if there is any action I should take on my own behalf, such as writing back to explain myself or hiring a lawyer as some have suggested who think that there has been some illegal actions taken in the aquisation of my personal information. Any comments would be sincerly appreciated.

ENASNI

um

radamar said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Michigan

I got this letter today, I didn't see an existing thread on it but there are many on several other forums so it wouldn't be suprising if there was one and I just happened to miss it: Many many other people got the same letter, and it seems that the letter is not really a direct threat, more of a warning, however I do not partake in the preparation of pyrotechnic devices, I am a chemist by training (but that kind of complicates things considering all the laws related to the generation and disposal of chemicals and such) and it just so happens that chemicals from pyro suppliers are often cheaper then Sigma or Fisher. I am just wondering how someone with more experience in these matters would take this letter and if there is any action I should take on my own behalf, such as writing back to explain myself or hiring a lawyer as some have suggested who think that there has been some illegal actions taken in the aquisation of my personal information. Any comments would be sincerly appreciated.
See above in bold

Explain yourself How? What do you have to explain?

radamar

The way the letter is worded leads me to assume they think I am manufacturing illegal pyrotechnics, I had thought for a short time that it would be reasonable to write back and state that I don't work with energetics and that the chemicals were not used in a way that broke any federal or state laws. Although just with the sheer number of these letters that were sent out I am lead to believe that just ignoring it would be the best bet. So attempting to write out a letter saying that I didn't do something that I truely didn't do would be something that would seem redudant, is that the point you were making?

ENASNI

um

radamar said:
The way the letter is worded leads me to assume they think I am manufacturing illegal pyrotechnics, I had thought for a short time that it would be reasonable to write back and state that I don't work with energetics and that the chemicals were not used in a way that broke any federal or state laws. Although just with the sheer number of these letters that were sent out I am lead to believe that just ignoring it would be the best bet. So attempting to write out a letter saying that I didn't do something that I truely didn't do would be something that would seem redudant, is that the point you were making?
The chemicals you used were suspect... hello?

Curt581

radamar said:
Many many other people got the same letter, and it seems that the letter is not really a direct threat, more of a warning, however I do not partake in the preparation of pyrotechnic devices, I am a chemist by training (but that kind of complicates things considering all the laws related to the generation and disposal of chemicals and such) and it just so happens that chemicals from pyro suppliers are often cheaper then Sigma or Fisher.
My suggestion:

Buy what you need from Sigma-Aldrich. The few bucks you're saving has put your name on a list of unlicensed people buying or trying to buy dangerous substances. Not a good thing to be on, post-9/11. It's not worth it in the long run.

Sigma's Customer Service Dept deals with this kind of stuff all the time. If you're legitimately buying and using, buy from a legitimate supplier.

radamar

Indeed it is not a good thing to be on these watch lists and I will have to likely stick to the reputable companies in the future or order through my instutition, however in the now, there are no actions that I should take what so ever?

Some Random Guy

Document everything

You have gotten yourself on 'the list' of people being watched. At some point, you will get another letter that demands a response or a visit from some officers.

Since you are not manufacturing illegal fireworks, I suggest you take this letter as a warning to get your house in order. Make sure that your materials are stored properly and securely. Keep adequate records of all purchases, keep records of how the materials were used (when possible). Keep any necessary records on disposals and emissions and permits.

When the next contact from the DOJ comes, they will see that you are a legitimate user and your paperwork is in order and they will move on. If not, then get a lawyer and see what else needs to be done.

Contacting the DOJ now will just mean that the knock on your door will come quicker.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">