• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VA 1966 - 14th Amend./Paternity Violated,B-mom gave child away w/o father's consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chattanooga1966

What is the name of your state?Virginia

I was born in 1966 and placed for adoption in 1967. My unmarried birthmother and father lived in TN during the 60's and had been dating. In a recent letter, my mother acknowledged she fled to VA to place me for adoption without my father's knowledge or consent, returning to TN after my birth. In another letter, she stated he knew she was pregnant but they had broken up. She knows who the father is but she refuses to give me his name, in fear, I assume, of the legal ramifications he could pursue against her for lies and misconduct resulting in loss of his natural daughter.

Both my natural parents were residents of Tennessee.
I was placed for adoption in Virginia.
My natural mother now resides in Florida.

How do I review the laws from the 1960's? Can I sue Virginia on behalf on my father, since the laws at that time were found to be unconstitutional?

In which state do I file, or can I file a civil suit requiring my birthmother to release paternity information?

I have read that Florida has recently passed a law requiring mothers to list possible fathers so that they can all be notified and given the opportunity to
to exercise their parental rights.

Last edited:

S

seniorjudge

Chattanooga1966 said:
What is the name of your state?Virginia

I was born in 1966 and placed for adoption in 1967. My unmarried birthmother and father lived in TN during the 60's and had been dating. In a recent letter, my mother acknowledged she fled to VA to place me for adoption without my father's knowledge or consent, returning to TN after my birth. In another letter, she stated he knew she was pregnant but they had broken up. She knows who the father is but she refuses to give me his name, in fear, I assume, of the legal ramifications he could pursue against her for lies and misconduct resulting in loss of his natural daughter.

Both my natural parents were residents of Tennessee.
I was placed for adoption in Virginia.
My natural mother now resides in Florida.

How do I review the laws from the 1960's? Can I sue Virginia on behalf on my father, since the laws at that time were found to be unconstitutional?

In which state do I file, or can I file a civil suit requiring my birthmother to release paternity information?

I have read that Florida has recently passed a law requiring mothers to list possible fathers so that they can all be notified and given the opportunity to
to exercise their parental rights.

http://adoption.about.com/od/adoptionrights/

Are you saying you want to sue your mother to learn the name of your father?

I do not know why you should not be able to do that.

Get an adoption lawyer in the state where your mother lives and drag her into court.

Chattanooga1966

Yes, I do want to sue my mother for my father's identity.

She was not required to list my fathers name in the adoption records, nor list him on the original birth cirtificate. It was a private adoption and the paperwork was pushed through.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">