• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inherited property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fatsue

:p What is the name of your state? georgia

can anyone tell me how to find out if you have inherited land? my mother has told us (children) for years that her father left her land (heirsay or something like that--property that has to stay in the family). she didnt grow up with him, but knew him--the property is in Georgia and she in south carolina. some relatives in georgia have hinted that my mother has land there that other relatives have secretly claimed. the problem, i have no idea how to even start a search like this--does any one out there know. thank you.

HomeGuru

fatsue said:
:p What is the name of your state? georgia

can anyone tell me how to find out if you have inherited land? my mother has told us (children) for years that her father left her land (heirsay or something like that--property that has to stay in the family). she didnt grow up with him, but knew him--the property is in Georgia and she in south carolina. some relatives in georgia have hinted that my mother has land there that other relatives have secretly claimed. the problem, i have no idea how to even start a search like this--does any one out there know. thank you.

**A: see a real estate attorney.

efflandt

One clue, assuming she is not around any more to ask, would be to check her financial records to see if she was making any property tax payments. Somebody had to pay taxes. If other relatives lived on it and paid the taxes, they may eventually try to claim adverse possession, if they have not already done so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">