• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can my home-owners association do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wristie

What is the name of your state? Delaware

I live in Smyrna, Delaware and recently purchased a townhome in a small community - just 32 homes in the entire homeowners assoc.

The problem is a small piece of land that the builder has set aside for the community as "common land". This parcel of land measures aprox. 60' wide by 12' deep. The builder also put a small paved area on part of that land, amounting to 4 parking spaces.

I am a member of the homeowners assoc. board, and our problem is this:

No one will cut the lawn on that parcel of property for less than $2,000. The insurance is $363 on that parcel. We need to file a tax return on that parcel every year. We have a property manager (a local law office) who charges us $4,992 each year for management fees. All that amounts to each home owner paying about $300 in perpetuity on the upkeep of a postage stamp size piece of property.

Is there any way we can sell that parcel? (It butts up to unused church land and the church might be willing to purchase it.) If we can't sell it - can we do away with filing tax returns? Do we really need a property management company? Can one of the home owners agree to cut the lawn themselves to avoid the lawn maintenance charges?

Any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated.

HomeGuru

Wristie said:
What is the name of your state? Delaware

I live in Smyrna, Delaware and recently purchased a townhome in a small community - just 32 homes in the entire homeowners assoc.

The problem is a small piece of land that the builder has set aside for the community as "common land". This parcel of land measures aprox. 60' wide by 12' deep. The builder also put a small paved area on part of that land, amounting to 4 parking spaces.

I am a member of the homeowners assoc. board, and our problem is this:

No one will cut the lawn on that parcel of property for less than $2,000. The insurance is $363 on that parcel. We need to file a tax return on that parcel every year. We have a property manager (a local law office) who charges us $4,992 each year for management fees. All that amounts to each home owner paying about $300 in perpetuity on the upkeep of a postage stamp size piece of property.

Is there any way we can sell that parcel? (It butts up to unused church land and the church might be willing to purchase it.) If we can't sell it - can we do away with filing tax returns? Do we really need a property management company? Can one of the home owners agree to cut the lawn themselves to avoid the lawn maintenance charges?

Any help you can give would be GREATLY appreciated.
**A: the HOA should fire the property managerand be self-managed. Next do it yourself or hire a yardman to maintain the lot. Next approach the church and sell the lot or donate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">