• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Forged signature on a Treasury check.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SpeakLatin

What is the name of your state? Florida.

Nearly two years after our divorce, I found out that my former spouse applied for (and rec'd) a reimbursement from HUD for an overpayment of an FHA loan on a home we used to own.

The HUD document required both parties to sign, and be notarized. I do not recall signing the document but the signature appears real. I did NOT sign the document in the presence of the notary, because I haven't been in the same room with that person in over three years.

A U.S. govt. Treasury check was issued in both of our names, which was sent to my former spouse. The check was then endorsed and deposited in the bank. The signature on the back is clearly NOT mine, especially when compared to the one on the HUD document. The back of the check clearly states that falsification of a signature is a felony, punishable by fine and/or imprisonment.

Question, if I wanted to go after my former spouse regarding this, where would I go and whom would I contact?

S

seniorjudge

SpeakLatin said:
What is the name of your state? Florida.

Nearly two years after our divorce, I found out that my former spouse applied for (and rec'd) a reimbursement from HUD for an overpayment of an FHA loan on a home we used to own.

The HUD document required both parties to sign, and be notarized. I do not recall signing the document but the signature appears real. I did NOT sign the document in the presence of the notary, because I haven't been in the same room with that person in over three years.

A U.S. govt. Treasury check was issued in both of our names, which was sent to my former spouse. The check was then endorsed and deposited in the bank. The signature on the back is clearly NOT mine, especially when compared to the one on the HUD document. The back of the check clearly states that falsification of a signature is a felony, punishable by fine and/or imprisonment.

Question, if I wanted to go after my former spouse regarding this, where would I go and whom would I contact?

Contact the federal prosecutor in the district where this happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">