• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

God bless?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LamarS1231

What is the name of your state? California

I was on an automtive website (www.teamswift.com) and I was just posting as I normaly wouldn't on any other website. After a couple of dozen posts the head of administration said that I have to stop advertising for companies in which I have no affiliation with and that I can't close out my posts with "God bless" because it offends him. Another admin member then contacted me on the same subject and I explained to both of them that it is against the law to tell me that I can't say "God bless" at the end of my posts because of my freedom of expression rights allow me that entitlement as long as I don't go around trying to preach to everyone. They then shortly after revoked my membership. Is this religious discrimination?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Actually, no, and they were right and you were wrong.

The GOVERNMENT cannot restrict your speech. A private entity can. They have every right to tell people they cannot post religious messages on their site.

Now, if they had allowed some people to post their religious messages and not others, then that might have been illegal discrimination. But nothing in the law says that a private entity has to allow you to post whatever you like on their site, religious or not.

LamarS1231

That is what they do. He has a little thing that has ratings of how much karma each person has according to his adjustments. How can he have that on everyones post but I can't say God bless? Actually, I am aware of the law you are referencing to. However, I believe this falls under expression. If I normally say God bless at the end of my posts and can prove that this is not the only website I do it on but in fact I do it on all automotive forums I join then shouldn't it be considered a normal part of my speech and can not be encroached upon?

Last edited:
Uh, Mr. Simmons, to me it looks like your membership wasn't revoked. There's still postings from you on that site (and many others). Wassup wit that? :confused:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Larma, it's HIS site. If he says you can't say God Bless at the end of your posts, then you can't say God Bless at the end of your posts. Period. It doesn't matter if you can prove that you have put that on the end of every post you have ever written since the internet was invented; you do not have a guaranteed right to put on on your posts if the adminstrator says otherwise.

It doesn't matter whether you call it freedom of speech or freedom of expression; a private entity has the right to limit it when you're posting on his site.

LamarS1231

Well thanks for all of your help everyone and if there are still posts coming in suppositely from me then it is someone lying in my place. I don't care realy, because he is a jerk and in the end the site will loose out because of all the deals that I would have set up for them with manufacturers I had been in contact with. Even though the laws seems limited in this situation there is a law that every man in every aspect of life must answer to and he will one day. Again thank you all and God bless.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">