• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandon property question.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostinlimbo

What is the name of your state? Arizona

Quick question.
Facts: Owners have died. Has be abandon for years.

Question: If I move in and pay the taxes is it possible for anyone to kick me off the property until I can acquire the deed?
Since the owners are dead there is no trespassing issue.
The neighbors would love someone taking care of the property.

ENASNI

Um

What? Someone owns the home, it would be trespassing. I you want the house you are going to find out who inherited the dang place, and buy it from them.

Is this a serious post?

John Se

Then you have to pay

Cceck arizona law, you can acquire title, then you have to give the owner fair market value.

lostinlimbo

Yes this is a serious question.

There are no owners because they have died. The son inherited it, never put the deed in his name and then he died. No one owns the house.
I found there is a few thousand in back taxes. So if I pay the taxes I can then file foreclosure and put it in my name.
But the question is, can I move into the house while attempting to acquire the deed?

lostinlimbo

ENASNI said:
What? Someone owns the home, it would be trespassing. I you want the house you are going to find out who inherited the dang place, and buy it from them.
No one owns it since they are dead. My brother had to call the police for a trespasser and the police could not remove the person because it was abandoned and the owners were dead. So I wanted to make sure if I move in that I would not be breaking any laws.

John Se

still a probate situation

this is still a probate situation, you can probably buy the taxes and get that interest, you can probably move in since its likely no-one will bitch, but gaining clear title is the issue. You need alot of legal help on this one wouldnt try and go it alone. Seems like just because the short list of heirs is dead doesnt mean that there isnt some relation defined in the probate laws in you state that actually gets the house. You should first study the probate laws. ultimately the state get it if there are no other living relatives. But I would think that is unlikely.

lostinlimbo

John Se said:
this is still a probate situation, you can probably buy the taxes and get that interest, you can probably move in since its likely no-one will bitch, but gaining clear title is the issue. You need alot of legal help on this one wouldnt try and go it alone. Seems like just because the short list of heirs is dead doesnt mean that there isnt some relation defined in the probate laws in you state that actually gets the house. You should first study the probate laws. ultimately the state get it if there are no other living relatives. But I would think that is unlikely.

It's true the state could foreclose on the property if the taxes are not paid. But if I pay the taxes the state will not take the house and after 3 years I can then foreclose on the property and put the deed in my name. If there was some person with interest in the house they would need to pay me with 16% interest. But since the name on the deed is that of the dead person they would need to put their name on the deed, and after several years I don't see anyone doing that.
So going by this, no squatter laws in Arizona, and you need the owners of the property to complain for trespassing, my guess is that I could live on the property while going through probate.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">