• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Had a fire...need help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

burnedout

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Indiana
We had a house fire and have no idea what to do. A State Farm adjuster came out right away the structure damage is not that bad due to a fast call to 911 but the smoke and water damage are. The adjuster put us in a hotel suite (there are 4 kids and 2 adults) the kids are sleeping 2 to a bed. He told us to use their people and all will be guarnteed. I have 2 young kids with asthma and it doesnt appear they want to replace things that should probably be replaced like the carpet in their room, painting the walls and the furnance and hotwater tank that got flooded with water. We were given no cash up front and told since the hotel has a small kitchenette we would not need meal reimbursement. My agent said this is not so. After 2 weeks of not having any clothes but what we purchased we recieved some cash. I feel like this adjuster knows we are young and dont know what we are doing and is taking advantage of us. I am also sick with a chronic illness that becomes worse with stress and boy am I stressing and having complications not to mention I have to drive 40 minutes to get my kids to school every morning. Usually a bus would pick them up at home. 2 weeks nothing done on the house, I go there daily to water outside flowers and get mail but I dont stay inside too long because the smell of smoke and now mold are strong. Please give me some advice on what steps we should take. My husband says call a lawyer but I feel we paid our premiums and we shouldnt have to get a lawyer. I called the adjuster and left a message to please call, but no return call in 4 days. I am writing every conversation down and keeping a daily diary of happenings.
What else can I do? What are our rights?

claimlaw

burnedout said:
We had a house fire and have no idea what to do. A State Farm adjuster came out right away the structure damage is not that bad due to a fast call to 911 but the smoke and water damage are.
State Farm is very tough in Indiana. With these issues, the best thing you can do is contact a public adjuster. Our firm has had very good experience with Assura Claims [www.assuraclaims.com]. We have used them for expert testimony and other claim services. There are others however.

You should start by requesting a consultation. A good one can answer your questions in some detail more than we can here, since your problems/questions are so broad.

burnedout said:
The adjuster put us in a hotel suite (there are 4 kids and 2 adults) the kids are sleeping 2 to a bed. He told us to use their people and all will be guarnteed.
Not true. State Farm like many, use "preferred contractors" these are the guys that work for them and against you. This is a racquet. You should not allow them on your property or allow them to remove any of your contents until you get professional guidance. The contractor will soak your policy cleaning, repairing and storing your stuff. State Farm will use the "preferred" guy's construction estimate against you.

burnedout said:
We were given no cash up front and told since the hotel has a small kitchenette we would not need meal reimbursement. My agent said this is not so. After 2 weeks of not having any clothes but what we purchased we recieved some cash. I feel like this adjuster knows we are young and dont know what we are doing and is taking advantage of us.
You are correct you are being taken advantage of. You are entitled to Loss of Use coverage. At State Farm it is Additional Living Exxpense[ALE].

burnedout said:
I am also sick with a chronic illness that becomes worse with stress and boy am I stressing and having complications not to mention I have to drive 40 minutes to get my kids to school every morning. Usually a bus would pick them up at home.
Again, COVERED.

burnedout said:
2 weeks nothing done on the house, I go there daily to water outside flowers and get mail but I dont stay inside too long because the smell of smoke and now mold are strong.
Nothing will happen anytime soon unfortunately. Right now though, you will find that to be good.

burnedout said:
Please give me some advice on what steps we should take. My husband says call a lawyer but I feel we paid our premiums and we shouldnt have to get a lawyer. I called the adjuster and left a message to please call, but no return call in 4 days.
Your husband is wrong for now. If you would like to Private Message me I would be happy to provide you some very brief direction.

burnedout said:
I am writing every conversation down and keeping a daily diary of happenings.
Excellent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">