• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help...fire!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

litlblu

What is the name of your state? VA

I was wondering if a person who owns a home, I don't know if it's paid for in full or not, is required by law to have homeowner's insurance or not. I do know the homeowner is in a elderly home and she has an executor of her estate that handles everything for her.

The reason I'm asking this is my father was in this woman's house visiting a friend who was renting the house when the house caught on fire and burned to the ground...with my father in it. I'm trying to find out if the owner of the house is required by law to have some type of homeowner's insurance on the house if she's renting it.

claimlaw

litlblu said:
What is the name of your state? VA

I was wondering if a person who owns a home, I don't know if it's paid for in full or not, is required by law to have homeowner's insurance or not. I do know the homeowner is in a elderly home and she has an executor of her estate that handles everything for her.

The reason I'm asking this is my father was in this woman's house visiting a friend who was renting the house when the house caught on fire and burned to the ground...with my father in it. I'm trying to find out if the owner of the house is required by law to have some type of homeowner's insurance on the house if she's renting it.
There is no legal requirement to insure your property. Most lien holders do require hazard insurance up to the extent of their insurable interest.

As a landlord, it would be wise to carry both hazard and liability coverages found in a typical DP contract.

Claimlaw

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">