• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Gun Charge Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lanie83

I am trying to get a question answered for a 22 year old friend of mine in Virginia. He recently was caught with an illegal gun (an SKS assult rifle to be exact). He was living with his grandmother who called the police and had them search her house(he wasn't paying rent so no warrant was needed for his things). He is currently on the run, and recently got off of probation for a few stolen car charges, and he is afraid that if he turns himself in that he will be put away for a very long time because of his previous charges. Is there a way for him to get out of this if he should turn himself in, or is jail time in his future regardless?

Thank You,
Lanie :cool:

O

Obnoxious1

Lanie83 said:
Is there a way for him to get out of this if he should turn himself in
I certainly hope not.

Lanie83 said:
or is jail time in his future regardless?
Thank You,
Are you seeing a valid reason for this person to remain on free?

Curt581

Lanie83 said:
I am trying to get a question answered for a 22 year old friend of mine in Virginia. He recently was caught with an illegal gun (an SKS assult rifle to be exact). He was living with his grandmother who called the police and had them search her house(he wasn't paying rent so no warrant was needed for his things). He is currently on the run, and recently got off of probation for a few stolen car charges, and he is afraid that if he turns himself in that he will be put away for a very long time because of his previous charges. Is there a way for him to get out of this?
No. It's called Felon in Possession of a Firearm. Illegal in all 50 states. Based on the circumstances described above, he's pretty screwed. And rightly so.
if he should turn himself in, or is jail time in his future regardless?
Turning himself in... is the one thing he can do to help himself. If he does that, and accepts the guilty plea offer, he has hope for a (slightly) reduced sentence.

If he continues to duck the charges, he'll get raked over the coals when he does get caught.

And he will be caught.

You need to find better friends.

S

seniorjudge

Lanie83 said:
I am trying to get a question answered for a 22 year old friend of mine in Virginia. He recently was caught with an illegal gun (an SKS assult rifle to be exact). He was living with his grandmother who called the police and had them search her house(he wasn't paying rent so no warrant was needed for his things). He is currently on the run, and recently got off of probation for a few stolen car charges, and he is afraid that if he turns himself in that he will be put away for a very long time because of his previous charges. Is there a way for him to get out of this if he should turn himself in, or is jail time in his future regardless?

Thank You,
Lanie, you need to surrender. If they catch you, they will be even more irritated than they are now. If you turn yourself in, they may treat you a little better.

Lanie83

seniorjudge said:
Lanie, you need to surrender. If they catch you, they will be even more irritated than they are now. If you turn yourself in, they may treat you a little better.

oh honey, I moved to pennsylvania to get away from these people. I was just trying to see if I could help a friend of mine who seems to be in a bit of a predicament. I dont agree with what he is doing. I was just looking for a way for him to turn himself in,which after seeing this, he won't do. thank you for your responses and I do appreciate your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">