• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ownership Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hrtofgldd

What is the name of your state? Nevada

I purchased 3 properties with another individual as partners. Due to financing issues the properties were solely purchased in his name with the agreement after close of escrow I would be "quick claimed" onto the deed. I wrote personal checks for half the earnest monies needed on each property and contributed in addition $23,000 from commission as a buyers agent for these properties (being a Realtor). Any excess reserve monies left (Approx $6500) is in a joint account we opened togther to make any repairs or mortage payments until the properties are rented. So far only one is. It has been between 45-60 days since closing and now the other party refuses to "quick claim" me onto title as agreed. He says he wants control of when and if the propeties are sold. I even offered to pay for an LLC to be set-up and adding me onto those documents in order to give me the right to 50% of the proceeds and also this would aviod transfer tax in leiu of the quick claim. I am more concerned over my half of the interest in the property's than when they are sold at this point. But he has refused to do this also. I am very concerned about receiving my portion of any proceeds from any sale of these property's. Which is half and is quiet a bit of money. Approximately $60,000. What are my rights if the property's were sold? Can I do anything to protect my interest? Please advise.

divgradcurl

hrtofgldd said:
What is the name of your state? Nevada

I purchased 3 properties with another individual as partners. Due to financing issues the properties were solely purchased in his name with the agreement after close of escrow I would be "quick claimed" onto the deed. I wrote personal checks for half the earnest monies needed on each property and contributed in addition $23,000 from commission as a buyers agent for these properties (being a Realtor). Any excess reserve monies left (Approx $6500) is in a joint account we opened togther to make any repairs or mortage payments until the properties are rented. So far only one is. It has been between 45-60 days since closing and now the other party refuses to "quick claim" me onto title as agreed. He says he wants control of when and if the propeties are sold. I even offered to pay for an LLC to be set-up and adding me onto those documents in order to give me the right to 50% of the proceeds and also this would aviod transfer tax in leiu of the quick claim. I am more concerned over my half of the interest in the property's than when they are sold at this point. But he has refused to do this also. I am very concerned about receiving my portion of any proceeds from any sale of these property's. Which is half and is quiet a bit of money. Approximately $60,000. What are my rights if the property's were sold? Can I do anything to protect my interest? Please advise.

Talk to a lawyer. As it stands now, you really have nothing -- ownership is determined by who's name is on the deed. Oral agreements are generally insufficient to prove ownership interests in real property. Take whatever paperwork you have down to a local attorney, and see what he or she can do to help you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">