• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vacant Home Basement Flood

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

waterquality

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Michigan

In September of 2004, the home next door to me was foreclosed on by a bank (CitiMortgage). In February of 2005, my basement sewer line became under pressure and water started pouring into my basement at a high rate. This went on for almost a week before a plumber (3rd one) figured out that the only feasible problem source could be coming from the vacant house next door to me (The pipes had probably burst due to no utilities being on during the winter and the water service being on even though the house was unoccupied).
After calling my local water department to investigate (3rd time), the water going into the vacant house was cut off from the outside of the property (inaccessible due to vacancy) and the water pouring into my basement began to slacken. The plumber, as well as the water department surmised that the pipes inside the vacant house had burst which led to the flooding of my basement. During the week that water was coming into my basement, I experienced damage and/or destruction to my washer, dryer, furnace as well as tools and other items stored in the basement.

I am trying to find out if I can hold the bank who owned the house at the time in which the pipes burst inside that property that led to my basement flooding liable for the mounting financial and possibly physical damages that I have incurred, as well as the damages that continue to appear as time goes on.

HomeGuru

waterquality said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?Michigan

In September of 2004, the home next door to me was foreclosed on by a bank (CitiMortgage). In February of 2005, my basement sewer line became under pressure and water started pouring into my basement at a high rate. This went on for almost a week before a plumber (3rd one) figured out that the only feasible problem source could be coming from the vacant house next door to me (The pipes had probably burst due to no utilities being on during the winter and the water service being on even though the house was unoccupied).
After calling my local water department to investigate (3rd time), the water going into the vacant house was cut off from the outside of the property (inaccessible due to vacancy) and the water pouring into my basement began to slacken. The plumber, as well as the water department surmised that the pipes inside the vacant house had burst which led to the flooding of my basement. During the week that water was coming into my basement, I experienced damage and/or destruction to my washer, dryer, furnace as well as tools and other items stored in the basement.

I am trying to find out if I can hold the bank who owned the house at the time in which the pipes burst inside that property that led to my basement flooding liable for the mounting financial and possibly physical damages that I have incurred, as well as the damages that continue to appear as time goes on.

**A: and what did your insurance company tell you when you filed your claim?

S

seniorjudge

waterquality said:
My insurance company does not offer "flood" insurance, which is what they would have to file the claim under.
Sue the bank....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">