• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LLC in regards to real estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wisc

What is the name of your state? I am in the military and am stationed in Virginia. However, my home of record is Texas. I have bought an investment property. I would like to set up a LLC to protect myself in case something goes wrong in the house.
Several questions:
1. Can I set up the LLC in Texas and buy a house in Virginia? The reason is Texas doesn't charge state income tax, Virginia does. It would be beneficial to set it up the LLC in TX. Also my taxes are going to get very complicated if I have a LLC in VA but file TX as my state of residence.
2. If this is too complicated to be solved with free legal advice should I visit a CPA or try and find a good tax lawyer to help set this up?
Thanks for your time.

divgradcurl

wisc said:
What is the name of your state? I am in the military and am stationed in Virginia. However, my home of record is Texas. I have bought an investment property. I would like to set up a LLC to protect myself in case something goes wrong in the house.
Several questions:
1. Can I set up the LLC in Texas and buy a house in Virginia? The reason is Texas doesn't charge state income tax, Virginia does. It would be beneficial to set it up the LLC in TX. Also my taxes are going to get very complicated if I have a LLC in VA but file TX as my state of residence.
2. If this is too complicated to be solved with free legal advice should I visit a CPA or try and find a good tax lawyer to help set this up?
Thanks for your time.
You will want to talk with a lawyer to make sure everything is done right, both from a tax and liability standpoint.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">