• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Adoption Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ckfosbenner

What is the name of your state? Texas

My wife and I have been working with a local adoption agency for over a year and have completed all of the requirements for being placed with a child. From the beginning they gave us a fee schedule that outlined all the fees required and now that we have been selected as adoptive parents, they realize they gave us the wrong program fee schedule and now the fees have increased by $8000 dollars based on the childs race/ethnicity. We have been with the agency for a while now and were just selected by a birth mother that is due anyday, however, we only have the initial fees we were given. Is is legal for the agency to require us to pay the additional money since it was their mistake, or am I obligated to pay if we want this child. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nextwife

Did you sign a contract- did they provide one? Were the fee structures outlined in detail? Did you switch to a different referral after starting the process for another child??? WE paid SOME additional fees that we hadn't planned on, such as translation fees and additional travel costs, but the agencies own fees were detailed when we accepted the referral. I'm not certain if it's the same with domestic newborn adoption.

Did you research the agency in advance? What feedback did you get from other adoptors when you corresponded with them? Or did you check feedback on any of the adoptive weblists to see how past clients rated their integrity and service level (staying in touch, making certain documents were where they needed to be, etc.)?

listed3

Why in the world would fees increase (especially by that much) based on the child's ethnicity? There might be some kind of legal violation right there.

Even if you don't have a written contract, I'd take the position that your agreement, under which both sides are proceeding, is based on their original fee schedule, and that they can't change it now.

nextwife

I know that fees might be reduced in some cases to assist in placing "harder" to place referrals. For example, in some programs, a Special Needs child may be offered for reduced fees to assist in getting them placed. Same with an "older child". If they had earlier accepted a referral, and then switched, fees may be higher in that case..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">