• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

verbal land inheritance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

klimt

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? alaska
my husband has a verbal agreement with his mother that by taking care of her and her land (40 acres) till she passes, he will inheret that land. it has already been over 30 years since this was decided and there was never any legal paperwork drawn up. i fear that his mother could change her mind and now that she is aging her other children are now talking her into dividing the land up equally, though they have never taken care of anything here. my husband has paid all the land taxes, repaired and replaced furnaces, wells and paid all the bills for over 30 years with no help from anyone.he has farmed the land and given her a percentage of the earnings for an income.we live in the upper apartment of her house while she has always lived int he lower appartment. he is sure this will hold up in court should his siblings protest or should she change her mind and rewrite her will. i say he should get legal protection. yet he fears upsetting his mother should he ask for anything in writing. what can he do to protect his investment of finacial and time spent in caring for this land?and so we don't have to give up the home which we have cared for and invested in ?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

klimt said:
he is sure this will hold up in court should his siblings protest or should she change her mind and rewrite her will. i say he should get legal protection.
Tell hubby this 'promise' is worth the paper it's written on.
klimt said:
yet he fears upsetting his mother should he ask for anything in writing.
Then he's going to find out why promises are worthless when she passes.
klimt said:
what can he do to protect his investment of finacial and time spent in caring for this land?and so we don't have to give up the home which we have cared for and invested in ?
Nothing short of a will by mom stipulating to the 'promise' or a deed naming him as JTROWS

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">