• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

shoplifting at job question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abcdefg05

What is the name of your state? CA

Hi please please help, i know that it was a stupid thing of me to do and now I really regret it, but I shoplifted at this retail store that i used to work at. I was caught in June and I've already went to court and i was charged with a misdemeanor, but i have to go back for a resitution hearing next month. My question is that, i had stolen stuff at that store before i was arrested, so hypothetically if they did catch that on the security camera then can they bring this into court and charge me more? I think the restitution hearing is to see how much i need to pay the store back, but i'm already in the process of paying the store back already (i've contacted them and i'm doing a monthly payment plan). So i guess my question is that at the restitution hearing will i be only hold liable for what i was charged with when i went to court in June, or can they add more charges to that if they have suficient evidence?

Please please help, i'm freaking out, i really dont want my parents to know, and i dont have the money for a lawyer, if worse somes to worse i'll go to that pre-paid lawyer site. but please please help. oh and im not a minor.

CdwJava

Adding new charges would require notifying you or filing new charges altogether. The hearing you are attending is likely to concern only THIS offense and the restitution.

- Carl

abcdefg05

so if they were then they would've sent me mail within this month? Also can i leave the country? because my grandma is sick and my family wants to leave next week. also should i still get a lawyer to come with me? or is that unnesessary? Thanks a lot.

im so scared, i wont do this ever ever again, i just want to get this over with so i can get on with my life and focus on school now.

TYRIS

abcdefg05 said:
What is the name of your state? CA

Hi please please help, i know that it was a stupid thing of me to do and now I really regret it, but I shoplifted at this retail store that i used to work at. I was caught in June and I've already went to court and i was charged with a misdemeanor, but i have to go back for a resitution hearing next month. My question is that, i had stolen stuff at that store before i was arrested, so hypothetically if they did catch that on the security camera then can they bring this into court and charge me more? I think the restitution hearing is to see how much i need to pay the store back, but i'm already in the process of paying the store back already (i've contacted them and i'm doing a monthly payment plan). So i guess my question is that at the restitution hearing will i be only hold liable for what i was charged with when i went to court in June, or can they add more charges to that if they have suficient evidence?

Please please help, i'm freaking out, i really dont want my parents to know, and i dont have the money for a lawyer, if worse somes to worse i'll go to that pre-paid lawyer site. but please please help. oh and im not a minor.

-Carl already stated this but I will re-iterate it. You are only being charged for "one crime" and thus are going to pay restitution for said "one crime". In order for them to have you pay restitution through the courts for previous thefts then you would be charged for said thefts.

i doubt you will need an attorney for this. If your being charged with 488 PC: Petty theft or 490.5 PC: Petty theft from a merchant...you're probably looking at a fine, probation and a small restitiution fee. I don't see the point of hiring an attorney that will cost you more than what your total fines will be and still have to pay the fines on top of it.

Tyris

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">