• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wegotscrewed

What is the name of your state? Mass/Va
My husband and I met after he had been separated from his wife for 7 years. He had tried several times to file for divorce in VA (where we live) but she would not sign the papers. She waited until they went over 10 years of marriage then filed for divorce in Mass, where she asked for 50% of his military retirement. Tired of all the crap she was issuing, my husband signed the papers. Is there anyway now (it has been >6 yrs) to change that ruling to a more reasonable amount? I am not saying no alimony, but if you were living together married for less than 5 years, you left the marriage of your own free will and you were on welfare when you got married, then 50% of a mans hard earned (2 wars) retirment should not even be a reasonable request. Need to know what to do, this is driving a large wedge in my marriage

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
He willingly signed the papers - I doubt there is anything he can do about it now. The time to have done something was during those intervening years - is it safe to guess that he didn't have a lawyer?

wegotscrewed

need help

Yes, bless his heart, he thinks everyone, even the ex-wife's lawyer is "good" and will do the "right thing". So I guess that I should stop pushing him to try to fight this then. Thanks for your reply

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">