• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate Mess

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajodi508

What is the name of your state? California. 10 years ago we moved in with my husbands terminally ill grandmother. She passes away July 1998. She had 4 children (2 are deceased) The grandmother has a will stating her assets be divided among her children. My husband and I are still in grandmother's house paying the property taxes etc. Now after almost 7 years the 2 living children have petioned the probate court to sell "the house" etc. We were told last week the house closed escrow?? What are my rights? Adverse possesion? Can the estate of the grandmother evict myself and family? Not sure what to do.

divgradcurl

What are my rights?
You don't have any rights -- you are not an heir.

Is one of the living children your husband's parent?

Adverse possesion?
You can't adversely possess property when you were invited onto the premises.

Can the estate of the grandmother evict myself and family?
Hard to say, but if the house just closed escrow, the new owners can certainly evict you.

Not sure what to do.
Find another place to live.

Seriously, it's been 7 years since grandma died -- what have you done in the meantime to figure out your situation? Are you under a lease? Have you been paying any rent?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">