• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No Hot Water-problems with landlord/maint.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

frmstinkcity

I have had no hot water for 2 wks. My rent is bi-monthly and is due tomorrow. My landlord does not respond with urgency to address the problem. I have looked over my lease to see if itspoke of maint issues, but it does not. I live in a rink dinky apt. building, but can not afford to move. Do I have the legal right to only pay a portion of the rent because I consider it a half### apt. w/o hot water? Or do I have the leagl right to ask to be move into another apartment on site that has hot water? I am the only apartment w/o hot water. Please advise me what my options are leaglly. I definatly feel I should not be paying full price on an apartment that does not hav ehot water. I am not trying to get out of paying, I would really rather have hot water, but she does not seem to be trying to get it fixed and I feel I need to give her some incentive to get it done. Calling her and going by everyday does not seem to be working. Is there an agency i can report this to? HELP!

Please advise,
Michelle
From Galena Park, TX

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by frmstinkcity:
I have had no hot water for 2 wks. My rent is bi-monthly and is due tomorrow. My landlord does not respond with urgency to address the problem. I have looked over my lease to see if itspoke of maint issues, but it does not. I live in a rink dinky apt. building, but can not afford to move. Do I have the legal right to only pay a portion of the rent because I consider it a half### apt. w/o hot water? Or do I have the leagl right to ask to be move into another apartment on site that has hot water? I am the only apartment w/o hot water. Please advise me what my options are leaglly. I definatly feel I should not be paying full price on an apartment that does not hav ehot water. I am not trying to get out of paying, I would really rather have hot water, but she does not seem to be trying to get it fixed and I feel I need to give her some incentive to get it done. Calling her and going by everyday does not seem to be working. Is there an agency i can report this to? HELP!

Please advise,
Michelle
From Galena Park, TX
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Send L a certified letter stating that you are withholding your rent until the heater is fixed or have the heater fixed and use your rent money to pay for the repair. Give L a copy of the invoice with a letter stating that your rent money was used to repair the heater. I could understand 2-3 days if the plumbers are busy but 2 weeks is not right and uncalled for. L is in default.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">