• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Closing"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

Gabriele Mayfield

My husband and I recently "closed" on our first home.4 days after we "closed" we were informed that we would have to get certain credit issues taking care of, before the seller could proceed with the loan. The loan we were already approved for and "closed" on
How can that be? I thought once you "close" on a house or any kind of property, that you cannot change anything or back out.We never signed anything during the closing process nor were we informed about any kind of "Special Provision" or anything like it. As a matter of fact, we all shook hands after and the seller congradulated us on our house.So I am a little bit confused to what's going on and how final is "closing"?
I would really appreciate any advise on what to do and what our rights are.
Thank you in advance.
Sincerely, Gabriele from TX

D

David J. Miller

It sounds a little like you purchased a home contract for deed. If so, you need to have an attorney review the contract. But, you say you never signed anything at closing??? If you didn't you did not close. It almost sounds like this was a gentlemans agreement to purchase via seller financing. How is the seller knowledgeable about your credit issues if you did not sign anything like a consent form or something. Maybe you need to provide more specific details. Who was there, what was said, where were you when you supposedly closed? etc...

G

Gabriele Mayfield

First of all I would like to thank you for answering so promptly.Here is what happened:
We(my husband and I)were interested at this particular mobile home at a Mobile home Company. We initialy filled out a credit app.
which after several days of waiting and after giving a $500.00 deposit (which they said was kind of like earnest money and to show the bank that we were indeed interested,and 100% refundable if we did not qualify).After a few days they (the seller) called to inform us that we were approved and all we had to do is find a place to put the home on and to come in and "close" on the "deal".I apologize for not clearly explaining the situation before about signing the "closing" papers. We signed so many papers it was almost unreal.Papers such as warranty issues(what is covered and what not), insurance papers (we bought 1 yr of house insurance through them),payment schedules and due dates. I mean you name it we signed and initialled so many papers. And here is the big "but" we never signed a paper about any "special provisions" or anything stateing that if we don't comply with the following...,we would not qualify for the house.That is why I cannot understand
what happened?? We live about 2 hr away from the place were we are buying the mobile home
and after "closing" it had gotten so late, that they told us a Copy of the papers
would be ready in a few days, because the manager of the place had to go through them all again to date and sign everything. But I swear to you, we never ever signed nor were we informed of any kind of "special provision" or if you don't clear up this credit thing you will not be approved. So how can they come back on us 4 days later and tell us that we have to get this credit issue taking care of before they can proceed with the loan. So see what I mean? We were already approved, signed all the papers to
"close" and now this.And I do have to say, they are still trying to help us to clear up this credit issue. But are they just doing that for there own protection, so we cannot do something about this legally? All I know it is all pretty frustrating to us
and we just don't know what our rights are, if we have any.
If you need to know anything more specific that would help us and you to advise us, please don't hesitate to ask.
I truly appreciate your help; again thank you
very much for your time and interest.
Sincerely, Gabriele

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">