• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Verbally insulting police..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

woofybob

I'm from Michigan and I am wondering if you can get charged with anything for walking up to a police officer and verbally insulting him.

racer72

Just like any citizen, they can do whatever is necessary if they feel threatened. Are you in the habit of doing really stupid stuff or are you just ignorant?

S

seniorjudge

woofybob said:
I'm from Michigan and I am wondering if you can get charged with anything for walking up to a police officer and verbally insulting him.
It depends on what you say.

O

Obnoxious1

woofybob said:
Is this something that you have done, something you are planning to do, or do you suffer from turrets and cannot help yourself?

n_and

walking up to a police officer and verbally insulting him.
How does one walk up to another and insult other than verbally?

Does one throw their arms about in a threating matter? Maybe do a little box-step-kick dance ending in a menacing kick to the teeth?

I want to see it.

parrotmom

woofybob said:
I tried finding a link to a home movie so you could see what happened to a kid that went up to a police officer and shot him a few birds.
The officer pulled his "dummy" club and beat the crap out of him. It was actually a hilarious movie.

I went back and found the link.... http://www.big-boys.com/articles/copfinger.html
I know it isn't a "verbal" insult, but watch it anyway.

*WARNING* Explicit language...Viewer discretion advised.

Last edited:

CdwJava

woofybob said:
It all depends on what is said, how it is said, and how creative the officer is. Heck, you COULD be arrested for obstructing a public sidewalk! And if you step out to the street to yell at him in the car, you might be pinched for being a pedestrian in a roadway.

Ya gotta be careful about these odd urges. They could land you in trouble.

Writing a scathing letter to the editor might be a better choice.

- Carl

Crazed98

parrotmom said:
I tried finding a link to a home movie so you could see what happened to a kid that went up to a police officer and shot him a few birds.
The officer pulled his "dummy" club and beat the crap out of him. It was actually a hilarious movie.

I went back and found the link.... http://www.big-boys.com/articles/copfinger.html
I know it isn't a "verbal" insult, but watch it anyway.

*WARNING* Explicit language...Viewer discretion advised.

HAHAHA I was just about to try and find that link to post.

Juche

CdwJava said:
It all depends on what is said, how it is said, and how creative the officer is. Heck, you COULD be arrested for obstructing a public sidewalk! And if you step out to the street to yell at him in the car, you might be pinched for being a pedestrian in a roadway.

Ya gotta be careful about these odd urges. They could land you in trouble.

Writing a scathing letter to the editor might be a better choice.

- Carl
Yeah, the police have alot of discretion and if they don't like you they are more than willing to find/make up minor crimes at will. I know a story (secondhand) of a guy who insulted the police, so the police dragged him to the car and charged him with disorderly conduct. Since 90% of cases result in a plea bargain I assume that's what happened. At the very least he probably spent some time at the station in lockup.

clip

i saw the same clip. do you know if he got any money out of that deal? is that why your asking the question about if you can be charged hoping you'll get beaten up and can the sue?

CdwJava

I've seen this video before ... I believe there is some question as to (a) whether this was a set-up (i.e. staged and phony), or, (b) he was a security guard and not a cop. Personally I think it odd that any cop is going to be simply strollingj around along the side of some commercial building for no real reason.

If it were a cop, he certainly appears to use excessive force and likely felony battery. If it were not a cop, he seems to commit felony battery.

- Carl

jewell_diva

Lmao!!

Obnoxious1 said:
Is this something that you have done, something you are planning to do, or do you suffer from turrets and cannot help yourself?

I actually have a friend with tourrets, and a police officer kicked him out of a gas station... That police officer SO got fired!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">