• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Background Check when renting apt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

needsadvice

My sister and brother in law live with me at my apartments. When they first moved in the prior landlord did not add them even though we signed an adendum to have them added on. This was 4 months ago. A new landlord took over and the previous landlord failed to put them on the lease. So now my brother in law has to apply to live there again. This time they want him to do a criminal background check. He has a felony warrant. Will this be cause to have him kicked out of my apartment, or do they check for warrants? Thanks,state Colorado

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by needsadvice:
My sister and brother in law live with me at my apartments. When they first moved in the prior landlord did not add them even though we signed an adendum to have them added on. This was 4 months ago. A new landlord took over and the previous landlord failed to put them on the lease. So now my brother in law has to apply to live there again. This time they want him to do a criminal background check. He has a felony warrant. Will this be cause to have him kicked out of my apartment, or do they check for warrants? Thanks,state Colorado<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have no idea what kind of check L is going to do, how intensive, local or FBI etc. If your brother in-law has an outstanding felony warrant why are you letting him live there?

N

needsadvice

I don't know what exactly the charge is about, I do know that it could've been dropped as a misdemeanor (I've never been in trouble with the law) and he did not show up to court.... stupid move I know, but when doing a standard background check, does a warrant come up? Or is it after he is convicted that it goes on record. I've known the guy for 12 years, and he is no threat to society or any of the roomies, just stupid as all hell.

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by needsadvice:
I don't know what exactly the charge is about, I do know that it could've been dropped as a misdemeanor (I've never been in trouble with the law) and he did not show up to court.... stupid move I know, but when doing a standard background check, does a warrant come up? Or is it after he is convicted that it goes on record. I've known the guy for 12 years, and he is no threat to society or any of the roomies, just stupid as all hell.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to find out about this. If it is an outstanding warrant, you may be harboring a fugitive. I'm sure you do not want the local police/sheriffs office or Federal Marshalls banging on your door.
The last time I looked at a criminal background check; charges, warrants and convictions are ALL listed.
He may be no threat to society but the law does not know that. If he gets stopped for a minor traffic offense, he may be immediately arrested and hauled off to jail.

[This message has been edited by HomeGuru (edited October 26, 2000).]

N

needsadvice

Thanks Home Guru, I'll find out what it is tonight! Hopefully he'll get his legal stuff taken care of as soon as possible.

HomeGuru

Thanks Home Guru, I'll find out what it is tonight! Hopefully he'll get his legal stuff taken care of as soon as possible.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, letting us know the status is warranted.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">