• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subdivision restrictions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zippy59

I purchased by home in October, 2004 in Jefferson County, MO. Because of certain things we wanted to do with our property, we were looking for a home with no association rules. Prior to closing, we asked repeatedly if there were any rules, to which we were told that there were none. 6 months later we get a visit from the "Home Owners Association" president, informing us that we are in violation of the rules. After being given a copy, I then went to the court house and found out that, yes, they are on file. Since I was not informed of these rules prior to closing, am I legally bound by them and, if so, what would be my recourse and against whom: the previous owner, her agent, my agent, the title company, or someone else?

John Se

Where did you do your closing?

At the title insurance company? you would have signed something relating to deed restrictions, HOA--especially dues!, or CC&R's. You sure you didnt sign anything. Also zoning probably exists wich will restrict your uses.

HomeGuru

Zippy59 said:
I purchased by home in October, 2004 in Jefferson County, MO. Because of certain things we wanted to do with our property, we were looking for a home with no association rules. Prior to closing, we asked repeatedly if there were any rules, to which we were told that there were none. 6 months later we get a visit from the "Home Owners Association" president, informing us that we are in violation of the rules. After being given a copy, I then went to the court house and found out that, yes, they are on file. Since I was not informed of these rules prior to closing, am I legally bound by them and, if so, what would be my recourse and against whom: the previous owner, her agent, my agent, the title company, or someone else?

**A: the CC&R's were already on title when you bouight the property. Did you sign a copy of the purchase contract referencing the CC&R's and sign the title report?
And yes, even if you were not informed, you are still bound by them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">