• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Real Estate Title 15 years overdue.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MKAK

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nevada

My husband and I were gifted acreage 25 years ago from his boss.
The people were still paying for the land so we couldn't recieve a title for the portion we were given. At that time it was figured we would have it in approx. 10 years. A paper was drawn up explaining the contract and it was signed by their lawyer. After a time the man that proposed the contract with us turned the unpaid land over to his son. When the transaction for that took place, we were never told of it or ever received paperwork saying that this contract between them existed. As I write this I'm not sure the year that the change over took place. All this time my husband and I are waiting for the day that we can get the title for the acrea that our house is on, sell and move. We never stopped asking them when we could acquire the title. The only answer we would ever get was... 'We're working on it"...
It's been 25 years now and still no title. My husband are both retired and have relocated. We still have our home there, still pay the taxes on the house, insurance etc. There are numerous people that would like to buy our place and we can't sell it... No title. The people that hold the title are the only ones that we can sell it to. Their lawyer tells us that these people now don't have any money to buy us out and the son is being difficult. The son is now claiming the we owe him back taxes for inprovements on the acre for things like fence, deck. tool shed etc. We believe that the moment a person receives a title in hand... that is when you become responsible for everything pertaining to that property. We believe that since he still owns the acre... the tax should be his responsibility unless otherwise agreed upon. We feel that if he had a complaint it should be with his dad and not us, since the original contract wes set up by his dad dwith no wording pertaining to tqxes of anykind. These people have never mentioned any tax in all these years, even verbally to us. So now when we are again asking for the title so we can sell, the son is saying if he even considered buying it from us...he thinks that tax amount should be subtracted from our asking price. He's being too cheap to pay what we're asking. We disagree, since he has refused all these years to give us a title, that holding out on the title constitutes him to pay taxes. During this time we have been offered $60,000.00 by another party and the intital offer to the son was $40,000.00, we were actually giving them a special deal. He's actually kept us from higher financial security. What does the law say? I could keep writing and writing ;but for now I hope someone understands the situation with the wording I presented it in. Thank You

HomeGuru

MKAK said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nevada

My husband and I were gifted acreage 25 years ago from his boss.
The people were still paying for the land so we couldn't recieve a title for the portion we were given. At that time it was figured we would have it in approx. 10 years. A paper was drawn up explaining the contract and it was signed by their lawyer. After a time the man that proposed the contract with us turned the unpaid land over to his son. When the transaction for that took place, we were never told of it or ever received paperwork saying that this contract between them existed. As I write this I'm not sure the year that the change over took place. All this time my husband and I are waiting for the day that we can get the title for the acrea that our house is on, sell and move. We never stopped asking them when we could acquire the title. The only answer we would ever get was... 'We're working on it"...
It's been 25 years now and still no title. My husband are both retired and have relocated. We still have our home there, still pay the taxes on the house, insurance etc. There are numerous people that would like to buy our place and we can't sell it... No title. The people that hold the title are the only ones that we can sell it to. Their lawyer tells us that these people now don't have any money to buy us out and the son is being difficult. The son is now claiming the we owe him back taxes for inprovements on the acre for things like fence, deck. tool shed etc. We believe that the moment a person receives a title in hand... that is when you become responsible for everything pertaining to that property. We believe that since he still owns the acre... the tax should be his responsibility unless otherwise agreed upon. We feel that if he had a complaint it should be with his dad and not us, since the original contract wes set up by his dad dwith no wording pertaining to tqxes of anykind. These people have never mentioned any tax in all these years, even verbally to us. So now when we are again asking for the title so we can sell, the son is saying if he even considered buying it from us...he thinks that tax amount should be subtracted from our asking price. He's being too cheap to pay what we're asking. We disagree, since he has refused all these years to give us a title, that holding out on the title constitutes him to pay taxes. During this time we have been offered $60,000.00 by another party and the intital offer to the son was $40,000.00, we were actually giving them a special deal. He's actually kept us from higher financial security. What does the law say? I could keep writing and writing ;but for now I hope someone understands the situation with the wording I presented it in. Thank You

**A: when we want to read a long post, we'll let you know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">