• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

how do i get back my deposit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sweetm101

i have moved out of an apartment that i shared with a friend. i told her that i would give her a month to find a new roomate and that i would need my deposit after that. well, someone moved in the following week but my exroomate refuses to give back my deposit. i told the landlord that i wanted my name of the lease and a refund on the deposit but he said he couldn't give it back to me because there were people still living there. the landlord told me to take my ex-roomate to small claims court. is there anything i can do to get back my deposit.---san jose, ca

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sweetm101:
i have moved out of an apartment that i shared with a friend. i told her that i would give her a month to find a new roomate and that i would need my deposit after that. well, someone moved in the following week but my exroomate refuses to give back my deposit. i told the landlord that i wanted my name of the lease and a refund on the deposit but he said he couldn't give it back to me because there were people still living there. the landlord told me to take my ex-roomate to small claims court. is there anything i can do to get back my deposit.---san jose, ca<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, take your ex-roomie to Small Claims Court.

L

Luckyshep

If your name is still on the lease, you would be held responsible for any damages, back rent, late fees etc even though you are not living there anymore. This was a binding contract. I would contact the landlord again to make sure that your roommate has made a new lease with her name only. If she hasn't and she refuses, I suggest you send the landlord something in writing stating you will not be held accountable for anything that occurs from the date that you moved out. Plus take her to small claims court. Let me know what happens good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">