• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Land willed to grandfather

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

pbyrd

My grandfather who passed away about 10yrs ago was willed some land for & during his lifetime and upon his death it was given to his children. His widow receives a childs portion. There are 7 children including the widow. I live on one of the pacels of land, hoping that one day they will divide the land & my father will deed a part of his to me. All of them refuse to have the property surveyed and divided because of finances. In the meantime the property is neglected and taxes are behind. It is used as a junk yard for their old cars, boats and what have you. Is there any chance that I could obtain the portion I live on by adverse possession homesteading, or some other means? My dad does not associate w/his siblings(they are all step brothers/sisters to him and the widow is his stepmother. But I want him to get what he deserves (and in turn I will inherit this property). I'm tired of waiting for them to do something. I've lived here for 7yrs. Can you give me some advice?

HomeGuru

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pbyrd:
My grandfather who passed away about 10yrs ago was willed some land for & during his lifetime and upon his death it was given to his children. His widow receives a childs portion. There are 7 children including the widow. I live on one of the pacels of land, hoping that one day they will divide the land & my father will deed a part of his to me. All of them refuse to have the property surveyed and divided because of finances. In the meantime the property is neglected and taxes are behind. It is used as a junk yard for their old cars, boats and what have you. Is there any chance that I could obtain the portion I live on by adverse possession homesteading, or some other means? My dad does not associate w/his siblings(they are all step brothers/sisters to him and the widow is his stepmother. But I want him to get what he deserves (and in turn I will inherit this property). I'm tired of waiting for them to do something. I've lived here for 7yrs. Can you give me some advice? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You need to talk to a real estate attorney but to secure his interest better, you both should start cleaning and maintaining the property, pay the real property taxes and otherwise act like responsible owners.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">