• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

two questions... one crime

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trexinthesiddhi

I live in North Carolina...

My grandmothers car was stolen yesterday from a hotel where she had parked her car while on a bus tour. The tour company always tells tour customers to leave their cars there while on the tour. They never signed any release from liability forms or anything.

My first question is this - When my grandmother tried to report her car stolen and asked the employee at the desk if she could call the police to report the crime, the employee at the front desk would not allow her to make the call. Is this against the law? Obstructing justice or something perhaps? My grandmother didn't think anything of it but when she told me about it it sounded pretty sketchy.

My second question is - Can my grandmother seek damages against the hotel for not properly securing their property? I mean, not trying to file a frivilous suit for millions but at least to cover the cost of her car and perhaps her legal fees.

Thanks!

rmet4nzkx

trexinthesiddhi said:
I live in North Carolina...

My grandmothers car was stolen yesterday from a hotel where she had parked her car while on a bus tour. The tour company always tells tour customers to leave their cars there while on the tour. They never signed any release from liability forms or anything.

My first question is this - When my grandmother tried to report her car stolen and asked the employee at the desk if she could call the police to report the crime, the employee at the front desk would not allow her to make the call. Is this against the law? Obstructing justice or something perhaps? My grandmother didn't think anything of it but when she told me about it it sounded pretty sketchy.

My second question is - Can my grandmother seek damages against the hotel for not properly securing their property? I mean, not trying to file a frivilous suit for millions but at least to cover the cost of her car and perhaps her legal fees.

Thanks!
Your GM will have to report the theft to the police and to her insurance company, who will in turn ask for the police report and communicate with the Hotel, most likely if is was unattended parking, the hotel has no liability.

trexinthesiddhi

rmet4nzkx said:
Your GM will have to report the theft to the police and to her insurance company, who will in turn ask for the police report and communicate with the Hotel, most likely if is was unattended parking, the hotel has no liability.
Was is not against the law for the hotel to not allow her to report the crime using their phone?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">